PDA

View Full Version : Is this laserable?

Craig Hogarth
10-15-2008, 6:34 PM
I'm not sure if this is laserable or not and it's too expensive to test on. The knife comes engraved with the company logo, but it's not lasered. The picture on the website doesn't do justice to how beautiful it really is.

the Knife in question is the the "Rainbow Leek with its titanium oxide coating"

martin g. boekers
10-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I know it sounds simple, but sometimes we pass on the easiest solution.
Ask the supplier, they may or may not know but I would still ask. I would then check and see if they have any seconds or damaged pieces that they may sell at a discount to test. It never hurts to ask!

Marty

Andy Wingfield
10-16-2008, 9:11 AM
The answer is yes but different types of lasers will produce different results

This Kershaw Ken Onion Rainbow Leek, is a 440 series stainless steel blade that has been titanium oxide coated.
Titanium oxide coating provide some degree of rust prevention to steel but in the case of designer knives the effect is more cosmetic.
To get a permanent laser mark it is necessary to penetrate the TIO coating and mark into the base steel. This should leave a dark surface mark caused by a technique commonly called carbon migration. The best candidate for this technique is Nd:YVO4 lasers(Vanadate) as they have a advantage in reducing future "halo" rusting near the mark area. Alternatives could be Nd:YAG and YB fiber lasers.
CO2 lasers can be used but at lower powers they will have the effect of removing only the thin TIO coating exposing the steel . Use of a surface additive such as TherMark or CerMark can be used but one might run the risk of adhering to the surface TIO instead of the base steel substrate.

Regards,

Andy Wingfield
Wanlaser.com

Craig Hogarth
10-16-2008, 2:16 PM
Thank you for the responses. I ended up calling them as well and customer service said that the logo is in fact laser engraved, although it doesn't look like it. I left a voicemail with their production department and hopefully, they can get me the settings.