PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for this old bandsaw?

Jeff Atnip
10-15-2008, 8:16 AM
This old bandsaw has been parked in my Dad's garage for many years. I think he was planning to refurbish it before he got alzheimers. My sister has first dibs on it, but I might help her if it is worth fixing. Thanks for your input.
http://www.jeffatnip.com/bandsaw1.jpg

http://www.jeffatnip.com/bandsaw2.jpg

http://www.jeffatnip.com/bandsaw3.jpg

Mike Wilkins
10-15-2008, 8:45 AM
Rockwell is the name before Delta took over. There are parts still available for this machine. This style bandsaw was produces for a lot of years (in excess of 50 years) so you should be OK on parts. I would mount the motor inside the base and build a cover for the pulley and belt.
And please do something about that funky cover; the top wheel should not exposed. Have fun.

Bill White
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
for a while, but take your time and you'll have a real prize. Check bearings, clean the table, new blade, covers, paint, etc.
Bill

Alan Schwabacher
10-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Talk to the guys at the old woodworking machines site owwm.org .

Wilbur Pan
10-15-2008, 2:23 PM
Let me say upfront that I love older woodworking machines. I pretty much have outfitted my whole shop with vintage machinery.

Having said that, I'd take a pass on this bandsaw. I don't know of any Rockwell bandsaws or similar 14" bandsaws that didn't have a wheel cover, and the current setup leaves something to be desired.

If you want to refabricate the wheel covers somehow, and the table is in good shawp, it could certainly be made into a useable bandsaw. Or, if it just has sentimental value for you, you could keep it. But I would pass on this one.

Cary Falk
10-15-2008, 3:01 PM
I have to agree with Wilbur. By the time you buy/fabricate all of the parts you will easily have put 2x the cost of a new one into it. I restored a old Uni in good shape with all of it's parts and it still added up quickly. This one looks like a basket case. If you need a bandsaw, then I would part this one out on E-bay or OWWM and buy a different one. If this one has sentimental meaning, then forget what I said above.

Bob Aquino
10-15-2008, 7:14 PM
Jeff
That saw is most likely a Delta Homecraft saw, probably from the 40's to the 50's on up. Model number or one that is similar is 28-110. If the size is 10 inches from blade to the back of the C frame then I am probably correct on the model.

Whether it is worth fixing up is a toss up. Its not in all that bad shape. Rust isn't its biggest issue, the fact that its missing the upper and lower covers is. You could probably fabricate something if you are handy, but it wouldn't be authentic, if that means anything to you. Also take into consideration, it may need bearings for either the upper or lower wheels and most assuredly would need new tires on both wheels. If you want to fix it up for sentimental reasons then by all means go for it. Its not that hard a project as old arn goes, and you will be very proud of the result I'm sure.

I'll chime in with Alan here, go over to owwm.org and introduce yourself over there. Those guys live for this kind of thing. You might want to be careful though, old arn is as slippery a slope as are handtools and turning. Here is what I think your machine should look like complete:

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/4595-A.jpg

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/4595-B.jpg

Jeff Atnip
10-20-2008, 8:11 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I probably will not attempt to fix this one up. I am curious as to the "Delta Homecraft" identification. Why would it be called that when the metal plate on the side says "Rockwell"?

Matt Meiser
10-20-2008, 9:58 AM
Rockwell owned Delta for quite a number of years. Homecraft was a line of "consumer" tools. Similar to the "Homeshop" series today. Only I'd venture a guess that most Homecraft stuff is better made than todays "pro" stuff. Unless you get lucky and find another for donor parts, I'd probably agree that you should pass on the restoration. But I'd probably ask on OWWM.org as there is chance someone over there has one around. You can also date it by the serial number on the OWWM.com site.

John Bailey
10-20-2008, 8:17 PM
My guess is that it would make a good restoration project, if, and it's a big if, that's what you enjoy. When it's all done, you probably won't save any money, and if you don't really like it, it will be a real head ache. It looks solid and would probably make a great little bandsaw.

John

Pete Bradley
10-20-2008, 11:17 PM
This is the remains of a Delta Homecraft 10" band saw. As other have pointed out, the Delta, Homecraft, and Rockwell names all appeared on Delta "home shop" machinery of this time period (around 1950 give/take).

However...unless this one has sentimental value I'd part it out. Fully restored, it's likely better than any 10" band saw you'll buy today, but it would still be a 10" machine. This model is not rare and yours is a *long* way from restoration.

The clamp handle under the table is common to many old Deltas and is worth 15 bucks or so. The other handles and bits are probably not worth a lot, but they can help someone else complete a restoration.

Pete