PDA

View Full Version : Run, Do Not Walk, To Classified Ads

Carl Eyman
05-19-2004, 1:39 PM
And put up for sale all your tools while they are still worth something. I just read an article by Rodney Brooks, director of MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Labratory. He said: " We are on the brink of an engineering revolution in biology. Eventually, we may put cells to work as computers or factories" After telling where we are now in this process he concludes his article this way: " Where does this lead? Whereas now we grow a tree, cut it down, and build a table, in fifty years we might simply grow a table. As more engineers work on biological systems, our industrial infrastructure will be transformed. Fifty years from now it will be based on living systems. Sort of like a new agricultural age, only of a radically different kind"

So don't say you weren't warned

Paul Downes
05-19-2004, 3:26 PM
If that new fangled grown table got a virus, would that mean it might sweat snot, or have burls hanging off it? I'm definatly not with the flat earth society boys, but it sure makes one wonder if we might be creating a whole new meaning to Pandora's box. Of course, if you could breed the poison out of poison ivy, that might be a nice thing.

Martin Shupe
05-19-2004, 4:48 PM
In 50 years I'll surely be dead and my son can worry about selling my tools. In the meantime, I'll enjoy using them.

Gee, maybe those forestry degrees will be useful someday... :rolleyes: