PDA

View Full Version : Update your GPS, Do you?

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I have a TomTom one 3rd and LOVE IT!!

Do you update your maps? I can't see the need to spend the $$$ for a few road changes that may happen. And if they do they are most likely something you could figure out and not get lost.

I only ask because on some GPS forums they pay for updates every 3 months. That just seems like overkill.

Jim Becker
10-15-2008, 12:26 AM
I have not updated the nav system in my 2006 Highlander Hybrid...yet...but might consider it since the POI and maps on the 2008 version in Professor Dr. SWMBO's Prius are much better. It's not inexpensive, however. I do have a Magellin portable GPS, but use it so infrequently now that my employer's agreement with Hertz includes the GPS...probably not worth the cost, especially when it was a freebie to me as a raffle win. :D

I agree that updating every few months is probably not necessary, but if there was a low/reasonable cost subscription model and an easy download/update process, it certainly wouldn't hurt. Especially if you use the device a lot to go to places you don't frequent.

Neal Clayton
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM
i have a tomtom 730 in my truck, and no i don't bother updating it. only thing i've found inaccurate between east texas, arkansas, louisiana, and mississippi is it doesn't know about the new interstate between shreveport and texarkana, so don't really see a need.

Jim Podsedly
10-15-2008, 2:17 PM
You reminded me to do an update!

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and just updated it.

Glenn Clabo
10-15-2008, 4:43 PM
We've updated ours once in 2 years. I can't see doing it more often unless you need it to make a living. Even if you miss a road or it get's confused...a short drive and it's seems to find it's way.

Eric Larsen
10-15-2008, 7:52 PM
I live on an unfinished road. The road basically ends 500 feet from my house.

Every day, about 20 truckers (mostly car-carriers for some reason) end up having to make a u-turn near my house.

Then there was the guy who must have been staring at his GPS when he hit the jersey barrier head on, doing about 50 mph.

I asked the city transportation dept. to put up a sign reading "no thru traffic, road ends 1000 feet" -- but the city is planning on extending the road in "a few months" so they won't add the sign.

There are enough changes in my area that I would update my GPS today if I could. But no updates are available....

Tom Godley
10-15-2008, 9:56 PM
I have never initialized the one in the car I drive the most -- not sure what that says about me ??

I either have a good sense of direction or I get lost a lot !!

I hate most of the built in units - They take over the whole dash.

It the place the eight track should be.

But, you have a Tom Tom - so I digress

Oh - I don't upgrade :)

Al Willits
10-16-2008, 8:36 AM
I update the gps in my boat once a year, would prob do the same or every two years depending on how many roads I find I don't have during the year...if I had one.
But I am looking for one, might as well have both the wife and a gps telling me I'm going the wrong direction....:D

Al

Don Bullock
10-16-2008, 9:41 AM
For the cost of updating the GPS in my Chrysler van I could buy a whole new portable system that we could use in our other cars. To date I haven't needed an update very often, but when my wife retires we may be traveling more and I'll need one then. Updating or not all depends on your need for the update vs the cost.

Mark Patoka
10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
We just purchased our Garmin 750 this year and I was able to get the annual update free. I believe Garmin only has an annual update, made available through NavTeq. I will probably skip next year's update as I don't think spending $70 will benefit me much and I don't travel enough to need it. I may consider the every other year update.

I have been a few places that it's obvious the roads changed several years ago but the mapping companies still haven't made the updates. That can be frustrating.