PDA

View Full Version : follow up to turquoise ??? is there an alternate

John Nowack
10-14-2008, 10:26 PM
seached some post and it sounds like it can be hard to work to turn turquoise filled cracks (dulls the tools and what not)---is there a softer material to use that would still be pleasing to the eye---i am still pretty green so instantly dulling the tools sounds like more work than I want to get into at this point with my "christmas present turner" career-----LOML seems to give me more shop time to turn though, when she knows it is for x-mas

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2008, 11:56 PM
John...there is inlace for sale that is similar and isn't supposed to be as hard on tools.

Norm Zax
10-15-2008, 4:46 AM
Malachite is green and lower on the Moh scale but Joe M scared me out of using it, claiming the pieces become sharp bits which embed in the lungs (gulp). Still have the chunk ... undisturbed. Any different experience?

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2008, 9:18 AM
Haven't done any of the stone inlay stuff yet but always thought that the inlace nuggets would be the way to go. Just another option for you to consider: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Decorative_Materials___Inlay_Materials___Inlace_Nu gget___inlace_nugget?Args=

ROY DICK
10-15-2008, 9:59 AM
What Ken said . Figured maple with turquoise inlay.

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I would use inlace. Works great and finishes nice.

Al Wasser
10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Turquoise is not hard to work with. Do your shaping, then sand the bad stuff out, then fill, then sand. Yes it will wear out sand paper, but a tool is not used. I mix it with epoxy

Frank Kobilsek
10-15-2008, 10:49 AM
John
I agree with Al, this not hard to work with. I use CA. The trick is to get the excess off before the CA reaches full cure. So do your inlay work and let the CA kick, now with a medium round nose scraper knock off 90% of the excess. Then sand.

Do not use accelator. It can cloud the adhesive and the grains of the inlay will be less vissible and attractive.

Frank

Barry Elder
10-15-2008, 6:48 PM
Use epoxy resin instead of CA glue. Do not overfill the crack with turquoise, rather turn the wood down to the level of the stone. Have to use the noggin, saves the tools.

Judy Kingery
10-15-2008, 7:19 PM
With Roy & Ken, I'd recommend Inlace. It's a bit steep, but so easy to work with and finishes real nicely, easy on the tools. Looks good, too. Jude

Allen Neighbors
10-17-2008, 12:58 AM
When I put turquoise on a piece, if it's a large void, I mix it with epoxy. If it's a fairly small crack, I use CA and the powder that settles in my little jar of crushed turquoise.
I fill the void a little proud of the surface, and then power sand the turquoise down to even with the surrounding wood. If I can't reach the turquoise to power sand it, I turn it down using an Oland tool with a hss cutter that has 10% cobalt in it. I by them from useenco.com. They will cut the stone without having to sharpen as often as ordinary m2. High rpm, and very light cuts.