PDA

View Full Version : Storing lumber vertically??

"Jacob Robinson"
10-14-2008, 9:29 PM
what are your thoughts on it

Stupid,

only do it in a pinch,

or does it work well if ceiling height accomodates it?

Rick Gooden
10-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I've been storing my lumber vertically for quite some time now and it has worked perfectly. It allows me more storage in less space, separating species and selecting individual boards are a lot easier. I've never had any ill effects on the wood and I typically have around 400+ bf (cherry, hard maple, poplar, white and red oak, some hickory and ash, a little walnut, sassafras, Kentucky coffee, and mulberry) all stored in an area 2' x 6'.

Joe Spear
10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
David marks does it.

mark page
10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I am pretty pressed for space, and I store mine vertically, even my ply. Now I do admit I'm headstrong for making it vertical and not at a 45 degree angle or such. No problems as of yet anyways.

Alan Schaffter
10-14-2008, 10:17 PM
As long as the wood is dry, you should have no problem stacking vertically. David Marks, Sam Maloof, Lon Schleining, and a number of well known professional woodworkers stack vertically as do Woodcraft stores, etc. It is much simpler to make and easier (and safer) to load, stack, sort, examine, and remove individual boards if stacked vertically. The floor supports the weight of the wood not shelf standards which can bend, break, or pull off the wall. You are only limited by ceiling height and this is for dry lumber only.

I went from this:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Woodrack-5.JPG

To this (I added safety chains since this pic was taken):
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P9240002.JPG

Leigh Betsch
10-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Notice how Alans pics show the wood resting on it's edges not the faces. I would think this would be the best method for verticle storage, rather than having the faces against the wall. No real experience though, all my wood is horizontal, but it is a pain to dig through.

glenn bradley
10-14-2008, 10:40 PM
My lumber yard stores it vertically and on edge.

Jim Becker
10-15-2008, 12:38 AM
With proper support and enough head-room, it's a wonderful way to store lumber. I'd do it in a second if I could!

Kurt Forbes
10-15-2008, 6:50 AM
we dried several thousand Bf of cedar vertically
it looked like a native American village with all the tepees in the yard.

Aaron Beaver
10-15-2008, 6:54 AM
With proper support and enough head-room, it's a wonderful way to store lumber. I'd do it in a second if I could!

What type of support is needed to store it vertically? One end sits on the floor the other end is up against the wall, probably at a slight angle, do you need more support in the middle?

I have wanted to store it vertically but I have been cautious because of the support thing. Thanks for any info.

Mike Parzych
10-15-2008, 7:23 AM
You don't need any support in the middle. The key is to keep it totally vertical - not leaning at an angle. That would set a bow in the lumber. I'm sure you could add another "divider" in the middle if you wanted, but it's really not necessary.

I have a similar set up as the one pictured above, with "pockets" about 14-16" wide. It's by far the best method in terms of taking out the board you want without having to move a bunch of other ones.