PDA

View Full Version : On a ROLL!! Another Vintage Gloat

John Bailey
10-14-2008, 8:39 PM
If I'm gonna' fill my shop with vintage machines, I might as well get that small vintage floor standing drill press I was after. I think this is a Delta 15-207. Not real sure, but I think it's from the 1950's.

I've been using a bench top and didn't need anything bigger than this one. I did want to extend the range by getting a floor model. And this one's only in Wisconsin.

Now, if I can just find that Oliver 192 bandsaw I've alway coveted, I'll be in vintage woodworking heaven.

John

David Tiell
10-14-2008, 8:53 PM
Nice! I passed by one that looked like that this last weekend at a flea market. It was in decent shape and ran, but I could visibly see it had a good bit of runout. The guy wanted $175, and since I have a good drill press, I walked away.

Chris Padilla
10-14-2008, 9:03 PM
I'm sorry, John, but only 1 vintage tool post per day. I'm gonna have to report you to the administrators here on Saw Mill Creek. Please stand by and do not leave your computer.

Thank you

John Bailey
10-14-2008, 9:11 PM
I'm sorry, John, but only 1 vintage tool post per day. I'm gonna have to report you to the administrators here on Saw Mill Creek. Please stand by and do not leave your computer.

Thank you

I better hurry and get another one quick before the hammer comes down.:eek: Besides, aren't you a few hours behind me, it's tomorrow here today. By the way, have I shown you my 1942 Parks Planer lately.

(go ahead, report it)

John

Eric Larsen
10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Geez, John!

We're all green with envy. :D (see)

Nice scores lately. Congrats!

David DeCristoforo
10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Nice old Parks. But who is doing your "paint jobs"??? That green is revolting! Worse than the color of your RAS. It should be against the law to sell paint to people like that.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2008, 11:54 PM
David....I hope my wife doesn't see your comment. You'd find out what cruel and unusual punishement is! She loves that color...

When we skied....I told her I could find her in fog or whiteout conditions.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
10-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Oooh...another nice one, John! Congrats!

Rick Potter
10-15-2008, 1:12 AM
I had a bench unit that looked just like yours. My dad bought it in 1954. Yours is probably close to that.

RickPotter

Bob Noles
10-15-2008, 5:30 AM
Nice snag on the DP John. I love the old iron in the shop. I certainly envy what you have going.

John Bailey
10-15-2008, 7:06 AM
Nice old Parks. But who is doing your "paint jobs"??? That green is revolting! Worse than the color of your RAS. It should be against the law to sell paint to people like that.

Oouch, but I kinda' agree. I was using some old paint I had around the shop and mixing it to try to match the "General" green which is my favourite. Fortunately, it's just the first coat and I think I'll have to do a little more testing next time. Anyway, I know it's not the original, but that's the colour I like, and it's My shop.

John

Andy Casiello
10-15-2008, 7:56 AM
That's a cool drill press. You have the makings of a sweet "old iron roundup" road trip coming up! Hope your wife is in California long enough to make it back home. :D

Matt Meiser
10-15-2008, 8:18 AM
I don't know, I kind of like the planer color. Paint the table yellow. :D Seriously, I've thought about painting my Parks with Powermatic pea green (their color before mustard yellow, before the dark metallic green with white racing stripes) since I still have a 1/2 gallon of that left after painting a PM jointer and PM belt/disc sander. A lot of people paint their vintage equipment non-original colors--its just paint after all. And it was commonplace even back when the stuff was new, especially in school shops where everything was painted a green color with yellow accents. Or machine grey.

That drill press could be even older--it has the same logo as my 14" from what I can see and a similar or same base casting--and mines very early 40's. I'm not sure when production of the 15's started. OWWM.com has a Delta/Rockwell serial number dating chart if you can find the serial number when you get it. It should tell you roughly when and where it was made.

If that's the one I think it is, Delta has made a machine based on that head casting for 50-60 years. They still do: http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11387# though I bet the quality isn't quite what it was when yours was made. I bought and resold an early 70's example a while back. On mine, the base and table looked a lot like yours.

Peter Quinn
10-15-2008, 6:40 PM
Nice DP John. But why did you use highway road sign paint on your planer? All you need is a few reflective stickers to complete the look.:eek:

Bet you never walk into that machine on accident.

John Bailey
10-15-2008, 7:02 PM
Nice DP John. But why did you use highway road sign paint on your planer? All you need is a few reflective stickers to complete the look.:eek:

Bet you never walk into that machine on accident.

You guys are a tough crowd.;)

John

Tom Adger
10-15-2008, 8:54 PM
There are certain advantages to being colorblind(correction, colorweak. Very, very few people are truly colorblind) Anyway, when I paint something, it is to protect the object, and I don't really give a hoot whether anyone else likes the color(whatever it is).

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2008, 9:33 PM
"... when I paint something, it is to protect the object, and I don't really give a hoot whether anyone else likes the color..."

No problem... Just don't post pictures of 'em on a public forum.

"...Very, very few people are truly colorblind..."

By the same token, not everyone has a strong stomach.......

;)