PDA

View Full Version : Vector cutting sitting on what?

Dave Johnson29
10-14-2008, 8:03 PM
Hi people, Total newbie to this so I apologize in advance if I ask stupid questions. What do you sit thin plywood on to cut through? I noticed the mention of honeycomb, where is that obtained from? I also saw a tray for the Zing laser that looks like squared fence mesh. Is that what that is in this link? http://www.epiloglaser.com/zing_vector_grid.htm It looks like stuff I could get at a hardware store. Would that do? Thanks Dave

Scott Erwin
10-14-2008, 8:18 PM
Signwarehouse.com
http://signwarehouse.com/engravers/access.htm

Honey Comb table ENA-GCCBK014i7

Honey Comb table ENA-GCCBK01223C

Larry Bratton
10-14-2008, 8:19 PM
That would be it. You could probably find something at the hardware store, but given that these things are fairly inexpensive, I think I would opt to buy one already made.
One of our members makes these. Check this out
http://www.stl-laser.com/laser-cutting-grid.html

Scott Shepherd
10-14-2008, 9:43 PM
This came up about a week ago as well. Mike's, as Larry listed, are quite nice. If you want the honeycomb, go to www.mcmaster.com and enter aluminum honeycomb in the search box.

Bill Cunningham
10-14-2008, 9:48 PM
If you just need a quick base, w/ 1/2 x1/2" grid, go to your local sheet metal shop, and ask if they have aluminum fire grate.. It's cheap and it works.. It looks like the egg shell plastic light defusers except thats is aluminum, and won't catch fire..

Nancy Laird
10-14-2008, 11:41 PM
We cut pieces of 1/2" ply to the same size as the material we were going to cut, and stapled 1/4" hardware cloth to it, raised above the surface of the ply about 1/8" or so. Raises the working material high enough to get air under it and let it cut. Worked for us until we got our vacuum cutting table.

Mike Null
10-15-2008, 7:37 AM
Nancy

I got a kick out of that. It was exactly what I did when I first got into the business about 10 years ago. (except I pilfered mine from my wife's tomato plants.)

Then I came up with the cutting grids which are better but not cheaper.

Nancy Laird
10-15-2008, 9:42 AM
Mike, that method was "inherited" from the lady who owned our first laser. That's the way she did it, and we just continued it until we got our table(s). Unfortunately LOML can't take credit for the idea.

Darren Null
10-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I use molyb.....molieb......rare earth magnets glued to bits of marble. Then hold whatever down with more magnets. Works with anything up to about 3mm and costs next to nothing. I got 50 little magnets from eBay for about $5

Dave Johnson29
10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
and stapled 1/4" hardware cloth to it Hi Nancy, Thanks for the info, but what is "hardware cloth?" If I go to Ace will they know what I am talking about? Dave

Dave Johnson29
10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I use .... Hi to all who replied, Thanks for the suggestions. Since this I am retired and this is a hobby thing I will check out the low cost options first. Dave

Mike Null
10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Dave

I think it's the same as the 1/4" mesh they use for things like rabbit cages.

All hardware stores carry it.

Nancy Laird
10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Nancy, Thanks for the info, but what is "hardware cloth?" If I go to Ace will they know what I am talking about? Dave

Short answer - Yes.