PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the iPhone

Jim Becker
10-14-2008, 7:42 PM
I gotta tell you, my new iPhone 3G is the first Apple product I've acquired...and it will not be my last. These folks developed one of the most incredible user interfaces I've ever used for the iPhone. Instantly intuitive. And it only took a very short period of time for me to get it completely setup to work with ActiveExchange and my telephony moblity application, especially because the WiFi support meant I didn't have to leave the house to get a signal to do all that. I was not sorry to turn off my Nokia E62, which while being a good tool over the past two years, doesn't hold a candle to the new black beauty in my pocket. Oh, the included iPod functionality is outstanding, too...perfect for long flights to drown out the clatter in the cabin. :) (It's pretty kewel that this is an acceptable work tool, too. :D :D :D )

Of course, Professor Dr. SWMBO is suitably jealous since she's still having to use her E62. Oh, Santa Clause...;)

Dave Hale
10-14-2008, 8:00 PM
Yep, really like my iPhone 2G too. Waiting patiently for the 32GB 3G. Maybe Professor Dr. SWMBO will like your hand-me-down. :rolleyes:

Check out the free apps:
eBay
FaceBook
iWant

Jason Roehl
10-14-2008, 8:19 PM
Hey, Jim, I'm kind of curious what your costs on the cell plan look like. I'm not talking about what you paid for the phone itself, but the minutes and any required "add-ons" to make the iPhone worth using. My phone is starting to age a bit, and I sure have been tempted a couple times in the past, so if the monthly cost isn't too bad, I may go that route, despite a couple things about the phone that bother me (the non-replaceable battery for one...goofy, IMHO). I'm just trying to nail down what real-world costs are like. I currently have an AT&T plan that's 700 minutes for two phones with rollover for $80/month, no SMS or MMS.

Kevin Arceneaux
10-14-2008, 9:12 PM
I am getting to the time to replace my Blackberry. I am leaning towards the ifone.

Jim Becker
10-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Jason, I haven't yet checked out the implications on "the family plan" for when/if I switch Professor Dr. SWMBO to an iPhone yet. Mine is on a corporate liability plan and it's dirt cheap compared to what we all have to pay on individual plans, even with a corporate "benefit" discount. iPhone 3G's voice and data plans are unfortunately more expensive than regular smartphone plans...probably because folks cheefully will pay it.

Kevin, if you've enjoyed your Blackberry, you'll likely appreciate the iPhone. I didn't mention it above, but the browser is also really well done...and the ability to very quickly use two fingers to magnify content that's not formatted for mobile devices is wonderful. Sites like SMC and some other forums that I visit are actually comfortable to access and view. Same goes for HTML formated email, like from Yahoo groups. I am not forced to put on my glasses to quickly check something as it's so easy to magnify. Tilting to landscape mode is also helpful in that respect. The "large" type setting on the email client is perfect for me in the same way which is nice at the end of the day when my eyes are tired and dry.

Dave, I got just the 8gb version and it more than satisfies my needs...the extra hundred for the 16gb just wasn't worth it to me. I'll probably invest that in an auxiliary battery solution, however, as corporate "push" email can take a toll on battery life, especially when there is a lot of calling going on, too. There is a company called mophie that has a very interesting solution to be released for the 3G at the end of the month.

Tim Morton
10-15-2008, 6:27 AM
welcome to the club jim...and maybe a macbook someday and an iMac for the young ladies:D

Ben Rafael
10-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Jason,
The old iphone is an additional $10 per month, the new iphone I believe is an additional $20 per month. This is for unlimited internet access. The old iphone includes 200 text messages. The new iphone requires an additional charge for text messaging.

Jim Podsedly
10-15-2008, 2:14 PM
THis is my first Apple product as well and i am very impressed. I too got the 8gb iphone and it suits my needs. I think i have about 900 songs, a couple hundred photos, about 12 games/apps and still have 3.5gb left!

Here is a link that has 17 tips.
http://iphonefreakz.com/forum/17+short+tips+tricks-t112.0.html (http://iphonefreakz.com/forum/17+short+tips+tricks-t112.0.html)

You need to check out the app 'Shazam'. Have you ever heard a song and wanted to know who sang it and the title. well shazam will listen for 10 seconds and then lets you know the artist/song. It has not failed me yet.
Another usefull app is Vincinity. lets you know what is around you. COmes in handy when traveling.

then just a few fun apps: Subway lite ( ag reat puzzle game), Cro-Mag (kids love this racing one), Vegas-lite ( a pool game).

One thing that did take a little to get used to was the keyboard. I have had a treo and blackberry in the past and they have a qwerty keyboard and this iphone has a touchpad keyboard. just took a little to get used to it, now i can type like a pro. :-)

Jason Roehl
10-15-2008, 5:58 PM
One app I saw existed for the phone takes advantage of the embedded accelerometer--you can mount the phone in your vehicle, run the app, and get trap times (0-60 MPH and the like). That's just too cool. Shhh...don't tell my wife...I don't need any new toys right now...

Robert Parrish
10-15-2008, 7:19 PM
The original Iphone was my first Apple purchase also. I have been a software developer for 41 years (yes I'm Old) mostly creating software for the PC platform. After I saw the quality of the Iphone I bought a 24" IMac and it is really great! I now have several PC's that are gathering dust in my office. This is the first computer that my wife feels comfortable with. I have been thinking about writing some apps for the Iphone since Apple provides the SDK for free. But then I just gave up computers for woodworking last spring. Not enough hours in the day!

Greg Cole
10-15-2008, 7:58 PM
I lobbied for them for the day job as we recently switched service providers and got all new handhelds....
I was over ruled by well.. the man that signs the paycheck. :confused::eek::rolleyes:
So I've had to "settle" for an LG Dare. Both are pretty neat devices, I will say that... and thats coming from someone who'd NOT have a cell if my paycheck didn't demand it. So, I'm not the typical 30 something "that way".... I like the idea of being out of touch whenever possible.
The browser part of the Apple offering is far superior... other than that I dunno squat.

Greg

Peter Stahl
10-16-2008, 7:38 AM
despite a couple things about the phone that bother me (the non-replaceable battery for one...goofy, IMHO).

Jason,

I'm sure someone will have a way to change the battery. You can buy replacement parts to fix any of the older iPod's. Don't know if apple will do this but there are some small companies that fix iPods if you don't want to. My son bought a iPod with a broken screen cheap and picked up a new screen on ebay and replaced. Not brain surgery but tricky to do.

Ben Rafael
10-16-2008, 8:44 AM
There are plenty of places that can change the battery. I know of one in Los Angeles that does it and repairs ipods too for a lot less than apple does.
The warranty for the Iphone is about $65 for 2 years. It is a bargain IMO. My phone was replaced under warranty 6 mos after I got it. I've had cellphones for the past 10 years and I've never had one that didn't need service within the first year. I always get the warranties.

Jason Roehl
10-16-2008, 8:56 AM
Ben, I'm on my 5th Nokia in almost 13 years of cellphone ownership. A couple acted a little flaky toward the end of their service (re-boot would fix it), but I generally upgraded when the batteries wouldn't get me through a day anymore--at that point there was no reason to keep old tech, when better phones with better batteries were available. Typically I get about 2 years out of my phones, and I'm a painting contractor--they get plenty of abuse.

Don Bullock
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I gotta tell you, my new iPhone 3G is the first Apple product I've acquired...and it will not be my last. ...

Of course, Professor Dr. SWMBO is suitably jealous since she's still having to use her E62. Oh, Santa Clause...;)

You might want to ask Santa for a Macintosh under the tree as well. Apple has done some amazing things with their MibleMe software/service that coordinate data between computer and iPhone. It's worth checking into, especially for someone who uses both for business.

While SWMBO wouldn't let me spring for an iPhone, and I agree until the costs come down. I really like my iMac. It's an amazing piece of equipment.

Jim Becker
10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Don, we're not ready for a "refresh" on the desktops at this time...mine is less than a year old and Professor Dr. SWMBO's isn't much older. But I'd consider a high-end iMac for my next desktop from a technology standpoint on the next round. The only catch will be what my software costs will be as I have a significant investment in some applications and if the manufacturers will not allow me to switch to a Mac license without re-buying (which has been the case in the past), it could still be a no-go.

Tim, unlikely I'd get a Mac notebook. I prefer desktops in my office and when portability is required, I have my work notebook and...my new iPhone. :D But, I'd surely consider one if I needed a personal notebook for some reason. I'll not be changing the girls from my older Dell anytime soon. They use Windows machines in school and with the LD issues my older has, it would make for more parental work coaching her between even the minor UI differences. Familiarity is very important in her case.

Craig D Peltier
10-16-2008, 3:21 PM
I like my 2g phone. I dont see the big deal with 3g verse 2g. I had 3g on my motorola razor and now back to 2g on old iphone. Its plenty quick.

Anywasy my plan is unlimited for everything and the total is $144 with taxes I think.

Ross Ellis
10-16-2008, 6:23 PM
I've had the original iphone for quite a while now and love it. My wife has the 3g and it's great. Both of us use Mac over PC. My only complaint is that my car has an iphone cradle (uses roof antennae, syncs address book to the car,(for phone and GPS), and charges the iphone). Problem is the cradle doesn't fit the new 3g phone. I also don't see a big difference in speed with the 3g.... If there is a phone cradle available for your car I highly recommend it.

Scott Shepherd
10-16-2008, 6:52 PM
I've heard all the PC/Mac wars and I've participated in them for many years when I was younger. I was a PC guy from the time they first came out.

However, after watching my aging parents get completely lost and confused trying to figure out anti-virus, updates, and everything else for way too long, we got them switched over to a MacMini several years ago.

It was the first mac I had really played with in over 15 years as well. I keep telling people there's just something intuitive about using it. I can't explain it, I can't put it into words, but when you use it, you feel like "this is the way it's supposed to work". For the first time in my life, I can see my Mom taking digital photos, actually getting them into the computer (not having to know files/folders, etc.), and then emailing them to people. It's just so natural and the flow is there.

My Mom actually bought my Dad one for Christmas last year, so now they have two. Funny thing is, that I used to get a call about twice a week telling me something that was wrong and could I come over and fix it. I've not had a single call from either of them about this type of stuff since they switched over.

Ben Rafael
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Ross,
The reason you may not see a difference in speed is because the 3g network is not available everywhere. The phone will default to the edge network if the 3g network is unavailable. I have the old iphone, but my wife has the 3g, when I use her phone the speed is noticably faster. BUT, the availabitlity of the 3g network(at least where I am) is pathetic. I do not think it warrants the extra monthly fee. We've traveled with it and more often than not the phone defaults to the edge network.