PDA

View Full Version : Bombe Chest Construction Help

John Jenia
10-14-2008, 5:15 PM
The Mrs. saw this 2 drawer bombe chest like thing on the Pottery Barn website and now she has to have one. The drawers seem simple enough to build and I can handle the tapered, curved legs on the bandsaw. But, since I don't have a plan for it I'm unsure of the internal construction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jimmy Horrocks
10-14-2008, 6:43 PM
I think you will find that if you lay this chest out full size on a piece of plywood that you will be able to figure out the construction details...at least your version of them...out as you go. Thats the way you really learn how to make a piece of furniture. To me, its one of the most enjoyable parts of the process.

Remermber, no two cabinetmakers will make any one piece in the same way...Really do it...grab somelayout tools and a cold beer and spend an evening (or two, or sometimes three or four) figuring out how to make this piece yourself...

HINT-- Its and easy piece to make....Jimmy

mike holden
10-15-2008, 7:08 AM
I have heard it said that "inside every case piece, there is a shaker table"
That would seem to be true here as well.

First draw out the legs full size so you know how thick your stock must be, I would suspect that you may have to start with 16/4 as the legs appear to bend inward of a vertical line down the edge of the drawers.

Construction would be: a flat back, morticed into the legs;
two side rails, top and bottom per side, morticed into the legs,with the curved panel applied over the rails (non-structural - like a molding);
the front rails morticed into the legs, dovetailed on the top rail.
Dont cut the legs until all the joinery is done.
Lay in drawer runners and kickers as desired. Top is held on with buttons, drawers made howevery you like.

Finish to suit, and bask in your loved one's admiration!
Mike

John Jenia
10-15-2008, 8:38 AM
Thanks Mike.

I thought I was going to be stuck with getting "some cold beer" and "figuring out how to make this piece yourself".

Mike Henderson
10-15-2008, 12:59 PM
This isn't plans but take a look at this web article (http://www.sapfm.org/eInterview/davis/introduction1.html) on building a bombe chest. One aspect that's expensive is the very thick wood that's required for the sides.

If you're going to make the drawers square on the sides (not shaped to follow the curves on the side of the case) that means that the inside of the bombe sides can be flat. If you go "square" you can make the bombe sides from plywood (for strength) then glue mdf to it and shape the mdf to the bombe curves. Then apply veneer to the mdf. This can create a dramatic look if you can find some special veneer, such as crotch mahogany.

To make the bombe drawer fronts, you'll need thick wood, but not nearly as thick as the sides. I think what most people do is make the case, then make the drawer fronts close and finish the shaping of the drawer fronts with the drawers inserted into the case.

A bombe chest is a beautiful and challenging project. Good luck! Post pictures of your progress.

Mike

David Keller NC
10-15-2008, 1:56 PM
Based on the fact (maybe) that the piece you've photographed has continuous legs from the floor to just under the top, I'd think you'll pretty much have to mortise the sides into the legs. Given that's the case, one fairly easy way to deal with the drawers whether the inside of the sides is curved or not would be to put a dado across the inside and add a drawer runner with side guides to make the drawers track straight.

On the antique American bombe chests that I have pictures of, that's the way they were constructed. Some of them have curved insides, some of them have flat, tapered insides, and one of the early ones without a compound curve has flat, straight sides. All of them use dado'ed drawer runners.

Robby Tacheny
10-15-2008, 2:19 PM
If you are going to paint it just glue a bunch of stock together to make a thicker board and cut the legs on the bandsaw. After that it seems like you could cut the sides and front as individual thinner planks and glue the planks it like a soild table top since one side will remain flat. Then shape it with a grinder, RO Sander, or whatever will take material and followe a curve.

I would think sides and front will be hardest. Kind of makes me think buying the cabinet might just be easier ;)

-B

John Schreiber
10-15-2008, 2:31 PM
I've looked at a number of bombe chests and they vary a great deal. They range from being not too complex to extremely challenging.

The relatively easy version is roughly just a regular chest with very thick walls and drawer fronts which you carve the shape out of. Most of the shapes are simple curves. In the complex version all the components are shaped with complex curves inside and out and joined at odd and inconsistent angles. It would involve doing dovetails between a curving drawer front and a curved drawer side for instance. That requires a true craftsman with lots of time and lots of mock ups.

One of the problems with the simple version is that you must use very thick wood which is prone to cracking. I've seen it done with some manufactured wood product and veneer. In fact, that's probably what you are seeing at Pottery Barn.

I Googled "Bombe chest plans" and found a few hits. None were free though.

Jimmy Horrocks
10-15-2008, 6:32 PM
Was not trying to be a wise guy. Best way to learn this trade is by doing. Layout is an important part of any project. By laying out the project you can figure out how to build it for yourself...Now I think I'll go have that beer...

John Jenia
10-15-2008, 10:28 PM
No problem Jimmy. Actually I took your advice and that of others and layed out a full size drawing on some MDF. I'm trying not to make it too complex so I'll probably attach the side panels with compound curves to a square case and make square drawers.
I plan to paint (glaze) it like the original so that should also simplify it somewhat.
Thanks to everyone that replied. Your help got me started and moving in the right direction.