PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use epoxy paint on tile?

Craig Stueve
10-14-2008, 4:53 PM
I posted this here since it is a finishing question of sorts. Feel free to move me if I am out of line.

One of my local big box stores has several epoxy kits for refinishing tubs / sinks / tile on clearance. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of product? I need to redo my nice 70's yellow kitchen tile but do not have the time or the $ right now. I am hoping that this along with some new laminate on the counter tops will be a suitable solution for a quick update.

Can you get decent results with this sort of kit or would I be better off just using a high quality paint?

Thanks,
Craig

Jason Roehl
10-14-2008, 8:32 PM
My painting partner and I once helped another painter in a bind totally paint all bathroom tile and tubs in a house with a 2-part epoxy paint. I don't recall the product, except that it was from Sherwin-Williams, and had to sit for 30 minutes after mixing and before use, then had about a 4 hour use time.

It looked good when we were done, but that was several years ago, and the reason we were painting it was to get the house semi-updated so it could go on the market. Haven't seen it or heard about it since. The other painter had even done a faux granite finish on the '70s laminate countertops in the house.

So it can and has been done. Whether or not it is a durable finish, I don't know. But sometimes that's not important! :eek:

P.S. The reason she called us in is that we were better set up for spraying the material than she. She tried to use foam rollers that disintegrated on her a few minutes into the job. My partner told her $200 to do it, but it would have to wait until Monday (this was a Friday morning). She countered with $400 to do it that day, so we did it at the end of the day, and each made about $200 in 4 hours, after putting in a normal day.

Rich Engelhardt
10-16-2008, 8:17 AM
Hello,
Forget the epxoy.
Few of the packaged materials you buy as a consumer are anything special.

(Personally, I'd remove the old tile and have done with it.
My wife and I removed all the tile from an 8X10 bathroom, tiled halfway up, in ~ 12 hours. That included removing all the old adhesive, which was the time consuming part.)

Surface prep is critical (ain't it always?).

Take a trip to Sherwin Williams & ask them about a primer called XIM.

Prashun Patel
10-16-2008, 9:19 AM
You should post this question on JohnBridge.com.

The epoxy will always look painted and will likely chip in a few years. If it were me, I'd retile. It's not that hard and doesn't have to be that expensive.