PDA

View Full Version : Knob reccomendations for Tin Cabinet /Update Pic

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Hey guys,

Just looking for a little help from my friends. I just ordered a couple different style knobs from Smith Woodworks (see below). On the Tin Cabinet I'm pegging the joints with walnut so I thought I would go with some walnut knobs. Just wondering which one you guys like the most. Maybe you like neither, that's fine. I was leaning toward the round one but I don't know. I couldn't make up my mind so I got both. I've turned knobs in the past, but my skills aren't that good on that turning contraption thingy :D , so I thought I would order out for this project.

I also attatched a picture of the back that I finished up on last night. The one rail has a bit too much business in the grain, but that was all I had. I used the LeeValley Shaker raised panel bit for the panels. Worked perfectly. I'm gaining ground on this. Next up, molding dovetailed to the side.

Thanks!

Gary Whitt
05-19-2004, 12:31 PM
I like the round one, also, but....
if you have plastic bags of groceries in your hands and you're trying to answer the phone (telemarketers) while holding on to your child (with mud all over him) and trying to lay your keys down, the mushroom-shaped one would be easier to open the door with the one free finger you have left....

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 1:17 PM
Jason,

I don't like either. For some reason, a square knob called out to me when I saw your piece. Neither knob seems to go with that cabinet in my eyes.

Joe Scarfo
05-19-2004, 1:51 PM
Sometimes you just can't help but enjoy looking at a pair of knobs and ask yourself "which do I like best".

Sometimes it just hard to tell..

Joe in Tampa.

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 2:18 PM
Jason, I'm somewhat partial to the 'shroom style of these two, but probably would prefer something that is a combination of both.

BTW, I use that same Lee Valley cutter for backcutting many panels as well as some other things. It's a very useful bit, IMHO.

Tyler Howell
05-19-2004, 3:46 PM
Jason,

One more consideration is the pyramid pulls from the Prairie Style artisans. Very partial. Have then through out the house. :cool:

Tyler

Knowledge Is Power

Tyler Howell
05-19-2004, 3:48 PM
[QUOTE=Joe Scarfo]Sometimes you just can't help but enjoy looking at a pair of knobs and ask yourself "which do I like best".

Sometimes it just hard to tell..

Joooooooe You're so bad!:D

Martin Shupe
05-19-2004, 4:43 PM
Jason,

I can see now that you certainly have been hard at work. I only wish that my project speed was half as fast as yours.

Of those two particular knobs, I like the round one better. It reminds me of the style of knobs that Moser uses, and after turning one under the guidance of Master Grumbine, I really like that particular style. (Sorry I can't post a pic right now, but will when I get it developed. I really need to break down and buy a digital camera.)

Don't get me wrong, there are many "mushroom" style knobs that I like, and might like even better than a round one. In particular, there is a mushroom knob that has a "shoulder" around the base that I like. I have some like this that I think I got at Rockler. It has a skinny neck compared to yours, and "feels right" with two fingers on it.

Go back to CHB's site and scroll through his shop tour. One pic has several knobs on the window sill above his lathe. They might give you some ideas. Although his are hand turned, I know that different places (Woodcraft, Rockler, etc.) carry slightly different styles of knobs.

The chest is looking very nice. Can't wait to see it all done!

Todd Burch
05-19-2004, 5:57 PM
Jason, I lean towards mushroom shaped knobs. On your case, the stiles are fairly wide, so you could go with around a 2" diameter turned cherry mushroom knob that sticks out about 1¾", then, drill out the center top and plug it with walnut too, to match the plugs on your case. Just another idea. Todd

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 6:20 PM
Hey guys, that's for all the great advice!!!

Todd, that was a great idea about the inside being drilled out and pegged with walnut. That would certainly add a very distinctive look.

Martin, I leaned toward the round one for the exact reason that it matched some of the Moser / CHB designs. Like you, I've noticed CHB's collection of different knobs. He has a round one almost exactly like the one I ordered. I know knobs aren't that hard to turn, but I'm just not setup for quality lathe production at this point.

Joe, I let Tyler do my dirty work. As he said, you're bad! :D Way to tell him Tyler :D

So as I tally it, it's a couple votes for the round, a couple votes for the 'shroom. And two wacky guys ( :p ) who suggest square knobs. Let's see.... that brings me back to where I started. I guess if you ask a subjective question, you get a subjective answer.

Seriously big thanks for all the imput. You guys are great.

Jason

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 6:22 PM
Jason, if you decide that you like a particular knob style but not a "size" available from your supplier, let me know and I'll be happy to turn one for you to your specifications for this project.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 6:45 PM
....And two wacky guys ( :p ) who suggest square knobs....
Jason
Hey! I'm a square peg, round hole kinda guy! ;)

Jason, if you decide that you like a particular knob style but not a "size" available from your supplier, let me know and I'll be happy to turn one for you to your specifications for this project.
Hey! Look at Becker...he's fishin' for a comission!! ;)

:D

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 6:49 PM

Jim, a public "thanks" for the offer. I sent you a p.m.

And listen to Chris, isn't he good with the ryhmes. :D Hey, get back to polishing you Mini-Max :p

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 6:49 PM
Hey! Look at Becker...he's fishin' for a comission!!
Naa...even the account teams I assist in my "real job" know I work for a good meal...and it shows.:eek:

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 6:50 PM

Jim, a public thanks for the offer. I sent you a p.m. about the details.

And listen to Chris. Isn't he feeling poetic today? :D Hey, shouldn't you be polishing your Mini-Max :p

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 6:51 PM
Hey, get back to polishing you Mini-Max
Careful...this is a family-oriented site.;)