PDA

View Full Version : DC Port Enlargements

Anthony Whitesell
10-14-2008, 2:39 PM
In the thought that someday I'll buy a proper sized DC, I was looking around the shop at all the 4" ports on my machines. In some cases they would not be that hard to enlarge. The router table and table saw ports are custom made. The bandsaw is has dual 4" ports that I would Y into a 6x4x4. On the other hand, my planer (Delta 22-560) has a pre-fabbed hood with a 4" port. Would you run the 6" flex directly to the 4" port on the hood or would you enlarge it? If you were to enlarge it, how would you go about doing it? (If you have enlarged, could you post some pictures)

Chris Padilla
10-14-2008, 7:32 PM
For the planer, you could either buy/make a fitting to taper from 6" down to 4" or just route a doughnut that fits around the 4" port and then secure the 6" flex to it or you could "build-up" the 4" port until the flex fits around it with any number of things (duct tape come to mind! ;) haha).

I used to have a 22-560 but I don't recall the shape of the hood to see if it is something you could redo/reshape. Bill Pentz has some pages on manipulating PVC by heating it (http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/PVC.cfm).

Currently and due to lazyness, I have a 6" to 120 mm (~4.75") taper that Oneida whipped up for me that I use on my MM combo j/p machine. It fits nicely on there but the funny thing, my MM20 bandsaw has a normal 4" port. I use the same hose with the same 6" to 120 mm taper and just lay it loosely on the bandsaw dust port. You know what, it actually does an excellent job...until I kick it loose! :)

Tom Veatch
10-14-2008, 7:42 PM
I built a new 6" outlet transition hood to replace the stock 4" outlet hood on my Jet 13" planer/molder. However, since then I've become less convinced that it was necessary (don't ask why, 'cause I don't know). I suspect that a 6" to 4" adaptor, i.e. Peachtree #435, would have been simpler, easier, and fuctioned as well, or almost as well. I'm still using a shop-vac connection to my bandsaw and disk/belt sander. When I plumb them into the centralized dust collection system I intend to try the 6/4 adaptor before going to 6" right out of the machine. If the 4" turns out to be unsatisfactory, that will be soon enough to start cutting holes in the machines to accommodate 6" outlets.

David Giles
10-14-2008, 9:32 PM
Generally, I'm a proponent of 6" ports and ducting, especially for low power DC systems. But planers seem to work fine with 4" ports and ductwork. Maybe it's because they make more chips than dust. Maybe the enclosed planer body helps sweep the debri to the port.

6" will certainly provide increased air flow, but it might not provide a noticeable improvement.