PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive question

AL Ursich
10-14-2008, 2:12 PM
I searched the forum and came up with some great adhesive tips. I have a job replacing some engraved tags on a Fire Truck Pump. Some are attached to the flat metal surface like the hose bed markers and some are attached to the inside of a T Handle for pump control.

I have not removed any yet but was able to get some side to side movement to the T Handle tags and was wondering if Foam Tape was used. I had planned to use JP TESA No. 4970 to attach the tags but thought I would throw it out for input. I wouldn't want the tags to fly off going down the road and be a problem at a fire scene.

AL

Joe Pelonio
10-14-2008, 2:31 PM
I have in the past used foam tape, varying in thickness, "banner tape" which is strong but adhesive only, no foam, and the similar 3M adhesives such as 467MP. My suggestion for removal is to stick a plastic putty knife under the edge, and pry with screwdriver on the back of the old tag only. That way you won't scratch the metal surface. Hopefully it will pop off. If you can see a thickness to the adhesive then it's likely foam, and a length of piano wire between two sticks will often cut through it, just pull outward, again to avoid scratches to the metal. If adhesive or foam is left then goof off or similar will soften it up, you can also use a plastic razor blade such as Li'l Chizler.

http://www.max-headroom.com/home-theater-popcorn/popcorn-machine-2.jpg

AL Ursich
10-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Thank you Joe !!!!

Yes, the liability of replacing the labels has me concerned.... Cracked Paint would be a very BAD thing.... Thanks for the advice.

I think I will give the completed tags to the Truck Captain.... It was mentioned at a meeting recently that the installation of a new digital cell phone be installed by a installer in case he messes it up, he is responsible..... That peeked my RADAR.... Danger Young Will Robison....

Paying for a new truck paint job :eek: would not do my struggling business any good.... Liability Insurance.... That is why I don't do installations.....

AL

Joe Pelonio
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I had to use my insurance once when an employee was lettering a van and ran a utility knife down the side.

Margaret Turco
10-16-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't know for sure if this would work, but I have used a product called Un-Do to remove bumper stickers and car dealer emblems from cars. Also, there is a 3m help line for technical advice, I believe the number is 800-364-3577. I did have the idea that a lot of auto trim was applied using Norton adhesive also. It's a foam tape similar to a 3m product. http://www.nortonautomotive.com/Media/Documents/S0000000000000001044/Catalog%20330%20-%202007%20Tapes%20and%20Masking.pdf