PDA

View Full Version : grizzly go550x band saws

ROCKY D PATTON
10-14-2008, 1:52 PM
looking to update from a14 " oak harbor band to a new grizzly looking from people who have them .it is in the right price range of 575.00 i live portland or. so i can go up get it .thanks for the input. typing isnt one of my best things frist time post:)

Gary McKown
10-14-2008, 2:19 PM
I assume you mean the G0555X? Right now it is listed at $575 on ebay with 30% Microsoft cashback. See this post under Deals and Discounts:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94103

for how it works. I did the live.com search on Grizzly bandsaw to get to the ebay cashback.

It takes a bit of work but could save you some money, especially if you still can pick up the saw rather than having it shipped. I have the 17" G0513X2, which with the 30% cashback is in the same ballpark as the list price of the 14".

Cary Falk
10-14-2008, 2:23 PM
Rocky,

Why are you updating a 14" BS to a 14" BS? I just upgraded from a 14" Delta to a 17" Grizzly. Grizzly shipping is pretty cheap and was not worth the drive up there from here in Camas. If you drive up there an purchase even though you live in Oregon you will have to pay tax. If you have it shipped you will get it tax free. If you order it through live.com/ebay you can get up to 30% off.

ROCKY D PATTON
10-14-2008, 3:37 PM
the 14"i got right was to to start out with i didnt know much i would like to bigger but i work out of a 8x10 shed so room is really tigthen the 14"i got have has no extras and is 10 yrs old

Cary Falk
10-14-2008, 4:24 PM
My 17 takes up about the same room as the 14 did. What do you plan to do with it? Does a 14" suit your needs? I hear good things about the G0555. I would buy it with Microsoft Live/ebay rebate.

ROCKY D PATTON
10-14-2008, 8:30 PM
gary i was also looking at grizzly model go457 but i got to have 110 power no 220 around i used the sawfor some resaw and geneal used the one i got works okay but to upgrade it will be than saw worth

Eric Larsen
10-15-2008, 2:28 AM
I'm very happy with my g0555 -- I bought the riser block at the same time and I consider that a MUST. I also bought woodslicer blades and made a kick-butt resaw fence that slips over the stock fence.

Robby Tacheny
10-15-2008, 9:21 PM
I just finished putting together my go555x yesterday evening, but haven't gotten the goo off of the tables yet or installed the blade. I got the riser block too. I put it all together by myself and parts of it were hell such as getting it upright onto the base and also installing the riser block alone.

I looked at the go555 but I wanted the resaw fence, extra 1/2 hp, and the bigger table. I should be making some sawdust with it on Friday, which I have off to play. I'll post results then if you'd like. Please keep in mind that this is my 1st bandsaw so I have nothing to compare it to.

Beez

ROCKY D PATTON
10-17-2008, 3:23 PM
dont see much talk on steel city there have rebate on there 14" granite top deluxe bandsaws 150.00 off at check out. think is after rebate is around 750.00 look it like a nice saws

Robby Tacheny
10-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I "de-gooed" the table top and put on the blade. According to "the bandsaw book" recommendation, I set the tension for a 1/2" blade. I set the roller guides with spacing of a sheet of paper on both sides (a little more space on bottom) and started some test cuts. I was able to resaw a 1/16" piece off of a 4" piece of pine with no problem with just the 3/8" blade that comes with the riser block kit. I resawed 4" cherry next with no problems, just fed the board a little slower. I even marked a line on the board and ran it on the fence to see if it followed the line. It was dead on it.

Dust collection works ok (I am using a 4" to 2" reducer and a shop vac), but I still have a little dust on the wheels. It runs very smooth so far.

This is my 1st band saw, so I don't have any prior experience to reflect on. The only thing I will say is that it seems to do well and is setup to cut nicely basically out of the box.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any more.

-B

Lance Norris
10-18-2008, 9:24 AM
gary i was also looking at grizzly model go457 but i got to have 110 power no 220 around i used the sawfor some resaw and geneal used the one i got works okay but to upgrade it will be than saw worth

Rocky... I have the G0457 and it will run on 110, but takes a 20 amp circuit, if I remember correctly. There isnt much difference running a tool on 110 vs 220. I highly recommend this saw, the power to re-saw is fantastic. If you look through my posts, you will see numerous times I have refered to this saw, as well as a review I posted on Amazon.com. If you have any questions about the G0457, feel free to contact me here, and I will try to answer. I have had this saw for several years now and have used it quite a bit, so I know it very well. Its a great saw and would serve you well.