PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a 10-inch SCMS

Anthony Whitesell
10-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I am in the market for a SCMS. I am a little weary of buying used on this tool, so I am looking at new. I have determined that I am looking for 10" machine with a laser and under $1000 (ie., Festool Kapex just isn't making the cut ths time).

I have found models from Hitachi, Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Porter-Cable, Rigid, and Milwaukee. I am looking for recommendations for and against any models or manufacturers, especially if you have one that you'd never buy again.

Also, does anyone recall if any of the wood magazines have done a tool test on them lately.

Prashun Patel
10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I can't remember whether it was FWW or Wood, but I've read about 5 reviews on CMS's and SCMS's in the past few years, and the Bosch's come out consistently on top.

Also ranked high is the Makita.

Also ranked high - among its owners (not necessarily in all reviews) - is Dewalt.

That's not a scientific analysis, but my own impression.

Gary Lange
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Here is a consumers report review of this type of saw and it has the Makita on top.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/miter-saws/

Jason White
10-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the little Craftsman slider I just picked up for $200. Not sure how much of a saw you're looking for, but it's great for occasional use.

JW

I am in the market for a SCMS. I am a little weary of buying used on this tool, so I am looking at new. I have determined that I am looking for 10" machine with a laser and under $1000 (ie., Festool Kapex just isn't making the cut ths time).

I have found models from Hitachi, Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Porter-Cable, Rigid, and Milwaukee. I am looking for recommendations for and against any models or manufacturers, especially if you have one that you'd never buy again.

Also, does anyone recall if any of the wood magazines have done a tool test on them lately.

Stan Smith
10-14-2008, 1:19 PM
Makita. Just goes and goes.

John Thompson
10-14-2008, 1:32 PM
I've used Hitachi for years and love it but.. will say that you can't go wrong with it or Makita which I have used an is excellent. I have not used a DW or Bosch nor the new Milwaukee but frankly... I doubt I would be un-happy with those either other than to pick-on a feature here and there that I have or would like to have. There's not a major difference in most of those sliders from what I've seen?

Sarge..

Jamie Baalmann
10-14-2008, 4:01 PM
The makita is a great saw and should be able to get it for around 399.00 at the borg if still on sale. If you want to spend a bit more the Bosch is and amazing saw. All the compound controls are on the front of this saw don't have to reach behind it to lay it over. It is a bit heavier I believe but it gets top pick in every review I've seen.

Tom Veatch
10-14-2008, 6:19 PM
I can't give you much on comparative reviews since my SCMS experience is limited to an HF boat anchor disguised as a miter saw and the Hitachi C10FSB (CH10FSH is the laser equipped equivalent, I believe). My only complaints with the Hitachi (we won't get into the complaint list of the HF POS) is that the thumb actuated trigger safety is a little awkward and the miter detents are not as tight as I'd like. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the saw and the range and accuracy of the cuts meets my needs quite well. If I had it to do over again, this saw would make the cut for final consideration.

(I wound up giving the boat anchor to a guy who hasn't spoken to me since.)

Jim O'Dell
10-14-2008, 7:06 PM
(snip)

(I wound up giving the boat anchor to a guy who hasn't spoken to me since.)

Was that a good or bad deal??:rolleyes:

My search starting this time last year netted me 3 on my short list. I threw out the DeWalt early on, just for the way I instinctively grabbed the handle at HD. I pulled down, and the blade guard rotating up on the outside of the housing sliced a nice piece of flesh off my thumb. I know it is not how you are supposed to grab that handle, but it was how the handle felt right in my hand.
My top three, in this order were: Makita, Hitachi, Bosch. I really wanted the Makita. I liked the large table, the way the saw felt running it through it's motions, and the higher amp motor. I ended up getting the Hitachi because I caught it at Lowe's on close out for half what the Makita would have cost me. Otherwise, it was only a few dollars less than the Makita on Amazon, and therefore the Makita would have won out.
I've compensated some for the smaller base with the cart I built for it. This is a picture of the top that mounts to the cart. 98635 And so far it is working well. I still need to design and build a dust catcher for it. Jim.

Scott Schwake
10-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I have the Hitachi C10FSH (the one with the laser), and I like it for the most part. Like Tom said, the positive stop detents and 90, 45, etc have gotten sloppy over the years, but maybe this is just the way it goes? I really like the laser, and use it on almost every cut, in the garage at least (doesn't show up that well outside). I think one of the brands has a double laser, which I wish mine had. I wish the table and fence were a little bigger/longer. It is fairly heavy if you plan to tote it around much, mine is pretty much stationary. I haven't used other saws much, so I can't compare it to those you mentioned, but I would probaly buy another one.

Peter Quinn
10-15-2008, 6:36 PM
Makita. I have one and i like it. Don't see the laser as being of any great value, but a shop made auxiliary table and fence will raise it to the level of cabinet grade precision. Unless the laser sight line is less than 1/64" the laser is a rough estimate of where the blade cuts IMHO and experience.

PS:Don't look into the light.

Steve Kolbe
10-15-2008, 7:18 PM
I'll have to go against the grain and tell ya to just go for the Ridgid 12" SCMS. Especially if your price point is sub $1000. It really is darn great. Although, of all the miter saws I have used over the years, the thing I like best about the darn thing is the giant table on it. No other brand comes close to supporting what the Ridgid table does.
Just one guys opinion...

Good luck with your decision!

Anthony Whitesell
10-15-2008, 9:08 PM
Looks like the Makita and the Hitachi are very popular (with Dewalt bringing up the rear). I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about the Bosch!

Truth be told, I started this thread for two reasons. First, because I am in the market for a SCMS and I wanted some owners opinions of the saws they have used prior making a slection. Secondly, combined with my other post (UtterGuys Experiences) I was thinking of taking the plunge right quick to pick up a Bosch 10" slider for $350 ($500 less 30%) and free shipping. That's a deal that's hard to beat. But I think I will have to wait it out until the funds recover further from last weeks bandsaw purchase.

Prashun Patel
10-15-2008, 10:09 PM
I was thinking of taking the plunge right quick to pick up a Bosch 10" slider for $350 ($500 less 30%) and free shipping. That's a deal that's hard to beat. But I think I will have to wait it out until the funds recover further from last weeks bandsaw purchase.

That's an amazing price for a fantastic saw. I believe it's just coincidence that no Bosch owners have chimed in.

Barry Richardson
10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
I'll chime in on Bosch. We have one in the Woodoworking shop on the Air force Base that I work at. We bought it because of it's good reviews, but frankly, my partner and I are both dissapointed with it. Had it about a year now. It was prone to bad kickback and we eventually discovered that the cast aluminum guide fence was out of true, causing the boards to pinch. We more or less fixed it with a rubber hammer. One of the srews that hold on the removable side piece that increases the fence height is stripped. (Actually its the threads in the aluminum body that are stripped) so it wont stay on. And it is not particularly accurate. The slider we had before was a Milwaukee, whick stood up to a lot of abuse with no problems and was working great when we replaced it, but we got funds to buy another and thought since Bosch was supposed to be so good, we would get one... It didn't pan out that way. I will say the ergonomics and design is nice, it just doesn't seem to be too durable. Probably fine for a hobbyist, but I don't think it's the best for production work. We wish we had our Milwaukee back. Just my experience....Barry

Mike Heidrick
10-16-2008, 1:19 AM
I just got the new Dewalt 717. Keep that one in mind. It is very stable, smooth, and accurate. I dont have many hours on it yet but the few I do have been awesome. The LED light that casts the shadow line on the blade so you always know exactly where the cut will be no matter which blade you use - well that add on is about the best invention for SCMS/CMS I have seen period.