PDA

View Full Version : gloat soon

curtis rosche
10-14-2008, 9:13 AM
i found a local lot that is for sale. on the lot there are 2 logs of wlnut, old twisted and figured and a little bit of burl. 2ft x 8ft. i called the lot owner, he said take them for free or they become fire wood. he also said that i could take the rest of the trees on the lot. only problem is that i dont have a trailer, and he said that if i take down any one the trees i would have to take everything, branches included. there are a couple maples with a bunch of good sized burls on them. if any one has a need for wood and is out this way i can point you in the right direction. the guy is just lookin to get rid of the trees anyway possible to clear the lot. its about a 2 acre lot. maybe 10-20 trees. maple, oak and i think some small walnut, about 6 maple burls.

since i will have to cut the walnut logs into chunks to move them, should i make them into turnable blocks (9 inch for my little lathe), or go as big as possible to move it?

Paul Engle
10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Curtis, if you cut them larger now and find you need smaller later you'll be in good shape, if ya cut small now and want larger later ..... cut em as large as you can handle, seal em up and let them dry or turn.Nice score but let's see some pics when you go to process the wood / lot.

Nathan Hawkes
10-14-2008, 3:57 PM
Just how big are those burls??? I'm in Gettysburg pretty regularly, and could be there if the trees are right......Any pictures??? I'm a little interested here.....

Steve Schlumpf
10-14-2008, 4:43 PM
Curtis - I agree with Paul's advice! Looking forward to seeing photos of your walnut!

curtis rosche
10-16-2008, 2:10 PM
nathan. they are a little bigger than avaerage bowl size. i should be going over to the lot today to try to get the walnut. i will see if i am allowed to cut the burls off and not take the rest of the tree. im not sure that the burls may be there anymore. if they are i will make sure to let you know.

the lot is at the edge of willow street, the corner of 741 and 222. (beaver valley, and village road)