View Full Version : Question for experience Akeda DT jig owners

Dave Cohen
10-14-2008, 8:50 AM
I just bought an AKEDA jig (DC16) off of ebay, which comes with no bits (which is the usual way even when new I guess)....

Anyway...how important is it to buy the Akeda bits or the WhiteStone "Akeda" bits.

I already have a set of Carb-tech DT bits that were thrown in when I bought my used table saw. How to know if they are OK, right angles, widths etc. to work on the Akeda?

Russell Tribby
10-14-2008, 9:44 AM
Dave, I wouldn't even mess with those bits. I bought the Whiteside set and have been very pleased. I only used the Akeda set a couple of times before I sold them and picked up the Whiteside ones. If you purchase it from Brian at Holbren you can use the SMC10 code and get a 10% discount.

Thomas Pender
10-14-2008, 9:47 AM
My experience tells me that you should use their bits or the Whiteside ones made for Akeda - the tolerances are non-existent. I have used calipers and have found their stuff is sized as represented - to probably right around .001. You also have to use the PC style brass guides as well that comes with the jig or that you can buy - others are not accurate enough.

This being said - Woodcraft has a wonderful closeout sale (mailorder) on Akeda bits and parts. :D I just bought replacements bits for like 8.99 - I found I need extra 11 degree and regular size straight bits after making lots of Ash drawers into QSWO (half blind) with through dovetails in the back. (They are selling entire sets a nice prices.) There do not seem to be any brass pattern guides on the closeout, but you can get these through the Akeda supplier you can find through Google (at a non-closeout price).

Dave Cohen
10-14-2008, 8:50 PM
Found the complete Akeda accessory kit on amazon, here (dust collector, pin guides, tail guides, all angles of bits etc. for 69.99):

http://www.amazon.com/Akeda-Accessory-Kit-Dovetail-Jigs/dp/B001E5WN5A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1224031447&sr=8-4

What about upgrades to the 8mm shanks? Can you squeak by on the basic 1/4" bits?

Thomas Pender
10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
I would like to use 8mm or more also, but so far, the 1/4" works fine with my Bosch 1617 fixed base with a clear plate I got from Pat Warner - I should have mentioned that - without the clear plate it gets "interesting."

I think the dust collection stuff is key - I use by Festool to suck from the the Akeda connection with OK results.

Dave Cohen
10-21-2008, 9:49 PM
So I just got the jig and the accessory kit yesterday along with a clear base for my Bosch router.

I noticed that the router bits have to extend pretty far out of the collet in order to reach the depth for a 3/4" piece of wood for a tail cut. This seems a bit unsafe.

I called Akeda customer service and they said that this happens with some routers that have large collet nuts, and they suggested taking the nut to a machine shop to have it milled down to a circumference that will fit down into the bushing another 3/8" or so.

Anyone hit this problem, wonder what your thoughts are?

Jim Riseborough
03-30-2009, 9:45 AM
Akeda bits are 2.99 on woodcraft right now, I bought 10 of each.