PDA

View Full Version : Firewood logs

Kevin Proaper
10-14-2008, 6:53 AM
I have been trying to get logs for firewood since August. Never had problem before. This years demand is far outreaching supply. Anyone else having trouble getting logs?

I live in upstate NY.

Tom Godley
10-14-2008, 7:44 AM
This past weekend I was speaking to the owner of a local hardware store that sells small amounts of wrapped wood for people who just want some for a fireplace. He told me that the guy who normally supplies him was "too busy" to do it for him this year.

The guy was pissed - he sold a lot of it - and now has to scramble to find another person to provide it.

Matt Ocel
10-14-2008, 7:49 PM
Alot of storms this year in MN = alot of firewood

David G Baker
10-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Mid Michigan has lots of wood for sale. Face cord of hardwood split is $40. Not split $35. I do not know if all of the wood has been dried or seasoned.

Kevin Proaper
10-15-2008, 6:34 AM
you are lucky. A facecord cut/split delivered is $60, full cord $180 in upper NYS.

Kevin Proaper
10-15-2008, 6:38 AM
logs are running $600 I have arranged for a delivery, wont be here until end of Nov.:mad:

David G Baker
10-15-2008, 9:54 AM
Kevin,
I do not think the prices I gave are delivered prices, I think they are when you pick up and load the face cords yourself. The $60 may not be too far out of line if delivered.

Jay Jolliffe
10-15-2008, 1:14 PM
I wish it was $60.00 up here....I'd buy 20 cord.....I paid $230.00 per cord bought 8.....:mad: so don't cry about the price you've got it made at $60.00

Joe Cunningham
10-15-2008, 2:13 PM
$200 for a full cord, split and delivered here. I ordered in late July, got it in Sept. We burn quite a bit each winter (3-4 cords).

Around here, chimney sweeps are nigh-on impossible to get an appt for. We called the same time as our cord wood order and couldn't get a date from our usual guy (booked past New Year's), and scrambled to get another guy to come next week.

I'll be setting all this up next May for Winter 2009-2010.

Mike Cutler
10-16-2008, 8:30 PM
Joe

I'm waiting for 5 cords to be delivered. Still haven't got the final price, but I've been buying wood from the same guy for 15 years, so I don't expect any surprises.

About that chimney sweep. I gave up on them years ago, and just bought all the stuff for my chimney at Preston Trading Post. it was just easier in the long run. My roof is pretty easy to work on though.

Ross Ellis
10-16-2008, 10:27 PM
We've got the same issue going on with Wood Pellets. The preseason buy was $185 a ton. Price now is $260 a ton. There is a 3 page waiting list from my supplier for pellets. It has never been an issue in the past, as we are 60 miles from 2 manufacturers. Lucky, I bought what I need 4-5 tons for the season on the early buy....

Rod Torgeson
10-19-2008, 9:58 AM
Just finished cutting my 13th load(Toyota Tacoma) of firewood yesterday. The permit is free. It just takes a little gas to get to the wood cutting area(about 6 or 7 miles one way). This wood is for a year or two away. Some of this wood/logs were 2 feet in diameter so I had to split it at least in half on sight, some times I would quarter it so I could lift it. Most of this wood is fir.

I was talking with a friend of mine who normally buys her wood and she is having a hard time finding a place to buy it. She normally gets it from someone who is parked along the road by a business with a truck load of wood. She lives north of me and then north of Mount St. Helens.

Also the area where I have been cutting has a nice view of Mt. Adams(12276 feet).

Rod<---in Appleton, WA