PDA

View Full Version : Another New Woodworker

Gary Whitt
05-19-2004, 10:52 AM
I've been lurking the site for a while and finally decided to join. :p
I'm still fairly new to woodworking (less than 2 years) but I learn something new everyday.
I have a massive 12x12 shop :mad: that I currently use.
SWMBO has even told me I need more space!
Now, does she mean shop space or..........
I'll post pics as I create things.
So far, I don't think you all want to see pics of my wood stockpiles and sawdust!!! :)

John Miliunas
05-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Gary! Glad you decided to join in on the education, sharing and general fun. :D I'm glad you continue to pursue your WW interest(s) despite your shop size. Many of us started with something that size and some *still* work out of a smaller shop. Yes, it has its constraints, but wonderful work can still come out of it. In reality, it's only as small as your mind lets it be. Oh, and we really don't mind pics of wood stockpiles and sawdust! That's all part of it and, in the case of Chris P., he can spot those stashes of wood in a shop picture from a mile away, so you may as well just be "up front" about it! :rolleyes: Again, welcome. Stop in often, stay long! :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 11:16 AM
So far, I don't think you all want to see pics of my wood stockpiles and sawdust!!! :)

Gary, you'd be surprised what we like to see ;)

Seriously, welcome to SMC. This is a great place. Don't feel as though you're not as good as others or too embarrassed to show what you've made because it's only a ________ (fill in the blank). We all have to start somewhere and you need encouragement where ever you are in that continuum of learning. The guys here are great at giving good encouragement and helping out with good advice.

So glad to have you around.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Jason said it well. We are all learning and it helps to have some of the more experienced eyes point out various items to you or suggest alternative ways to do something. Jason is now known for the skycraper dovetail jig! :D

Tom Hintz
05-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Gary,
Welcome to the hobby and this forum. There are lots of great people with lots of insight into woodworking so ask questions and make use of it! You will still make mistakes, everyone does, but the people here have been around long enough to have already made many of them and can help prevent a few of yours.
I, on the other hand, am perfect. Honest.
I think.
OK, maybe not but don't spread it around.

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Jason said it well. We are all learning and it helps to have some of the more experienced eyes point out various items to you or suggest alternative ways to do something. Jason is now known for the skycraper dovetail jig! :D

Thanks for the new rep. Chris. Now we should tell Gary:

"Not everything you see here should be imitated or attempted at home. These are trained loco-yoco's. And don't forget the most important safety tip, when cutting dovetails, always wear a hard-hat." Or something like that.

See Gary, we're loads of fun :D

John Miliunas
05-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Yup, 'round here, we practice: "Safety First" as is demonstrated in this recent photo of me doing repairs to my wood hauler. :eek: (Yes, I'm kidding...) :cool:

larry merlau
05-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Gary! Glad you decided to join in on the education, sharing and general fun. :D I'm glad you continue to pursue your WW interest(s) despite your shop size. Many of us started with something that size and some *still* work out of a smaller shop. Yes, it has its constraints, but wonderful work can still come out of it. In reality, it's only as small as your mind lets it be. Oh, and we really don't mind pics of wood stockpiles and sawdust! That's all part of it and, in the case of Chris P., he can spot those stashes of wood in a shop picture from a mile away, so you may as well just be "up front" about it! :rolleyes: Again, welcome. Stop in often, stay long! :cool:
hey john i caught that peice laying there as well but i was polite and didnt say anything;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Welcome Gary! I landed here earlier this year! Neat people and place! Lots of interesting ideas exchanged....education going on! Chris......did you forget to give John M. his medications? :confused: :p :D Chris it's your week to see that he and Tyler get their doses! :D Again, Gary Welcome!

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 1:03 PM
Ken, I sent it out last week via FedEx...I can't force them from Califorinia to actually take the medication...I can only get it in their hands quickly. :p

John Miliunas
05-19-2004, 1:43 PM
Oh yeah...Surrrrre. You sent Howell the REAL stuff and I just got the placebo! :mad: I just *know* it!..... Oooooo...Look at the pretty colors.... :) "Yes, Marshall Dillon. I'll tell Kitty you stopped by." OK, now, what was I saying???? :confused: :cool:

Brad Schmid
05-19-2004, 1:59 PM
Welcome Gary! As you already know, it's a fun and informative place to hang out.
We're looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Tyler will be along any time now to demand immediate pictures. His bark really is worse than his bite :D

Cheers,
Brad

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 2:11 PM
Welcome, Gary! This is a great place to visit and hang out. And, by the way, I have a friend at another forum who has been building amazing projects in a 12' x 12' shop for years. He's a master of space utilization and even hand-built a lathe that can tip up on it's end for storage!

Bart Sharp
05-19-2004, 2:47 PM
Hey Gary, welcome! I'm a noob to the Creek too, definitely a wealth of knowledge on here.

For example, I am getting ready to go back to school for four years, during which time my shop may be nothing more than a spare room in a rathole apartment. That's when I'm coming knocking on your door asking for small shop tips!

Tyler Howell
05-19-2004, 3:22 PM
No officer Gary, I don't know these people! Yes officer Gary they are very strange. Yes sir my name does show up here often but it's just for the pictures.
I think they are using drugs. Something about sniffing glue, paint thinner, and sawdust???

Looks like another for the Mill Creek band,:cool: Finger Picking is great but try some nose picking,;) now you will really get some tunes.
Welcome!;)