PDA

View Full Version : Marking anodized aluminum on a Legend 36EXT-60W

Robert Santiago
10-13-2008, 8:08 PM
Ok guys...here's my problem. I have a big order of anodized aluminum plaques, which needs to have a company name engraved on them. I've tried so many different settings (including the ones suggested by Epilog), but none of them turned out well. Can somebody tell me (preferably someone with the same machine - Epilog Legend 36EXt - 60W), step by step, what should I do to obtain satisfying results.
I read from different sources about how to mix the Cermark marking material with the denatured alcohol, and even regarding that seems to be different opinions (not to mention the dpi, power and speed settings). I feel completely lost. What dpi settings should I use for simple text engraving?
So again... if somebody has a brilliant advise for me, feel free to answer back. Any help would be much appreciated.
My tools are:
- Epilog Legend 36EXT 60W
- Corel X4
- Adobe CS3
- Cermark LMM 6038 marking material

Steve McKee
10-13-2008, 8:39 PM
Robert, I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do. Your message mentions anodized aluminum but then you mention Cermark. Are you applying Cermark to anodized aluminum? And if so, why? Anodized aluminum doesn't require anything else, just engrave it.

Steve

Pete Simmons
10-13-2008, 8:40 PM
Why are you using Cermark on anodized alum?

Can you just laser the anodizing?

I would expect Cermark over anodizing to just come off with the anodizing when hit with the laser.

Scott Erwin
10-13-2008, 8:43 PM
If you could, be a little more specific on what the "but none of them turned out well" actually means. Are they not clear, are they banding, are they not engraving into the aluminum, etc....

And if you are using CerMark on anodized aluminum there could be your problem there, unless you are removing the anodizing then putting on the CerMark, but why?

More detail may help get better answers.

Mike Mackenzie
10-13-2008, 9:19 PM
Just some information for everyone.

Cermark has or Had a solution for clear anodized. We actually tested it and it was hit and miss most of the time. I believe they worked on it and might sell something for clear anodize.

This may be what Robert is working with.

Jerry Beltramo
10-13-2008, 9:31 PM
Robert,

If you want to give me a call tomorrow I may be able to help you with this issue. I have the same exact laser and we laser both anodized and hard coat anodized aluminum. We have also used cermark.
Call me at 8163316093 - I am in central standard time but get up early.

Jerry

Tony Lenkic
10-14-2008, 6:45 PM
All!

I have mared clear anidized aluminum many times using CerMark.
I have never had a problem with it but it thoes need thicker coat of CerMark than stainless steel.
With my ULS-400 40Watt I use 100P 25S 500DPI and it works great.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
10-14-2008, 7:23 PM
Hi Robert,

As well I am a little confused regarding your post about anodized aluminum and using Cermark. If you are talking about regular colored anodized aluminum, then you do not need to use Cermark. After lasering, you should end up with a nice bright white mark.

I have actually experimented with Cermark and anodized aluminum. I first laser the design I wanted, then sprayed Cermark on the piece and lasered the same design again and it produced a nice black image. The important thing was that I had to laser first without Cermark, then laser again with Cermark because otherwise, the Cermark would not really stick.

I too have the same model and wattage as your machine and laser engrave anodized aluminum all the time without any problems.

Hope this helps.

Mike Null
10-14-2008, 11:27 PM
If you're trying to make a black mark on anodized aluminum I would use Alumamark.

Robert Santiago
10-16-2008, 2:10 PM
Thanks everybody for all these useful information. After reading all of you's posts and talking to Jerry on the phone, I got to the results I was expecting.
On my machine Legend 36EXT - 60W, I used S12, P100, 600 dpi to engrave the aluminum using Cermark.

Scott Shepherd
10-16-2008, 3:39 PM
Speed of 12? DPI of 600. I hope you weren't in a hurry!

Man that's a ton of heat with a 60W.

Frank Corker
10-16-2008, 3:57 PM
I'm with Steve McKee. Why are you using cermark on anodised aluminium, it doesn't need it! You just engrave without. I have a 45w Epilog and that is considerably less power than yours, I used 100 speed with 70 power, Lord only knows why you are doing it the way you are.

Tony Lenkic
10-16-2008, 7:27 PM
I used 100 speed with 70 power, Lord only knows why you are doing it the way you are.

Frank, how do you get black mark on clear anodised aluminum without CerMark?
To mark black, red, blue or any other colored aluminum there is no need for Cermark but clear one (natural looking AL) I can mark only with cermark or by deep engraving with rotary engraver and oxidize.

Scott Shepherd
10-16-2008, 8:13 PM
I think the point most of us in this thread missed is that it's not color anodized, it's clear.

Dave Johnson29
10-16-2008, 8:46 PM
Frank, how do you get black mark on clear anodised aluminum without CerMark

You can re-color anodized aluminum. It requires some care with the power to just boil off the existing color trapped in the Hydrate with out mushing the aluminum Hydrate structure.

When you get the right power to do that you can laser the part and dip it into warm Rit dye solution for about 5 minutes and then boil the part in distilled water for 10-20 minutes to re-seal the Hydrate pores.

It is worth messing with until you get it right and you can get some pretty spectacular art with multiple colors.

Dave

Mike Null
10-17-2008, 5:24 AM
Dave
Do you have any examples you could post?

Tony Lenkic
10-17-2008, 9:52 AM
Dave,

When I have orders for machine data plates with company logos etc., I farm them out. There is no way I will setup chemical andoizing proces at home when on quantities of 500 plates 3" x 5" I pay les then $2.00 per plate.
In situations where order is small quantity as I have had in the past for 8 control panel legend 12" x 25" that already had instruments and buttons cutouts pre-punched on 1/8" thick clear anodised aluminum and I had to only mark info on them that is where Cermark works for me.

Dave Johnson29
10-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Do you have any examples you could post?

Hi Mike,

Sorry no, I did that a long time back. Probably 10 years or more when the laser was in it's infancy for anodized aluminum. I was developing some anodizing processes and realized what was happening with the laser. Since it was not damaging the underlying structure of the anodized surface, refilling with a different die should work. It did.

I did some interesting rainbow colored stuff using water-based felt marker pens then boiling the plates.

I will look and see what I can find but am not hopeful. Experiment Mike. :)

Dave