PDA

View Full Version : Hole Punch / Corner Rounder

Brian Robison
10-13-2008, 8:01 PM
Hi Creekers,
I need to buy one of these pretty soon so I'm doing some research.
I'm looking at the Model 9353 Maxi Press III from Main Trophy and the Corner Master from either Johnson's Plastics or JDS.
Any thoughts on these models?

BTW, I need to punch holes in corners and maybe scallop on another job.

Margaret Turco
10-13-2008, 8:44 PM
Hey Brian,
What materials do you cut with these things?

Larry Bratton
10-13-2008, 8:46 PM
I have a CornerMaster. I use it rarely because now, if I want the corners rounded or scalloped on plastics, I cut them that way with the laser. I also would punch the holes with the laser at the same time. I may be wrong but don't think the die used by the CM will handle metal, just plastics. However, to answer your question, the CM works well for the intended purpose.

Scott Erwin
10-13-2008, 8:49 PM
I have the corner rounder as you describe by JP (didnt get it there but same one) and I use it for several itmes. I have not bought all of the different cutters but it works great for the magnet sheeting, alum sheets, plastic, etc where a square corner is not the right thing to have on it. -- looks are important and the finishing touch on the corners (roun,n etc) seem to help a lot. Besides, on mag material for signs on vehicles, you need to round the corners or off they go...you get repeat business but not the way you want it that's for sure.

Larry Bratton
10-13-2008, 8:56 PM
I have the corner rounder as you describe by JP (didnt get it there but same one) and I use it for several itmes. I have not bought all of the different cutters but it works great for the magnet sheeting, alum sheets, plastic, etc where a square corner is not the right thing to have on it. -- looks are important and the finishing touch on the corners (roun,n etc) seem to help a lot. Besides, on mag material for signs on vehicles, you need to round the corners or off they go...you get repeat business but not the way you want it that's for sure.
Scott:
Then it will do aluminum? How thick?...Edit..Just tried Alumamark in it and it works like a champ!

Brian Robison
10-14-2008, 8:04 AM
Alumamark and brass is what I'm looking at punching.
BTW, some one a while back suggested to put a 4 point line on top of the hair line for cutting shapes. Works a treat!!!!

Mike Null
10-14-2008, 9:01 AM
Brian

I have the Accucutter. It will do .060" plastic. Aluminum, brass and .015" steel.

The tool from Main Trophy is more versatile in some respects and less expensive but the wide variety of dies for the Accucutter was my reason for buying.

For holes and notches the MT tool is better because it's versatile. It won't do scallops.

My dies in order of importance are: 1/8" corner rounder, 1/4" corner rounder, 1/4 scallop, 3/32" hole punch. I do not have the notching die.

It seems like it will last forever. But I know people who have really old Maxi Cutters too.