PDA

View Full Version : hx40a rabbit laser

Shell Glen
10-13-2008, 1:54 PM
hi all
can someone help me with the parameters to set hx40a rabbit to cut from top left hand corner i am having real problems have had the machine a month and have not managed to use it yet. it seems to have a life of its own and cuts anywhere but where it should even into the surrounding metal casing and the company i had it from are not much help, also is there a tutorial anywhere to use newlydraw this is not a very good program and some of it is in chinese. any help is better than none. i am starting to regret buying this laser.:confused:
thanks
michelle
UK

James Jaragosky
10-13-2008, 3:40 PM
hi all
can someone help me with the parameters to set hx40a rabbit to cut from top left hand corner i am having real problems have had the machine a month and have not managed to use it yet. it seems to have a life of its own and cuts anywhere but where it should even into the surrounding metal casing and the company i had it from are not much help, also is there a tutorial anywhere to use newlydraw this is not a very good program and some of it is in chinese. any help is better than none. i am starting to regret buying this laser.:confused:
thanks
michelle
UK
Let me start by saying that my rabbit came with Newlydraw as its controller software.
This is how I set up one off’s.
First I export a dfx or bitmap file from Corel draw or paint to a flash drive.
Then I install the drive in the computer I have set up to operate the laser.
I use a separate computer because the Newlydraw software screws up print process if I try to do anything else when I am printing with the laser.
I then open the Newlydraw software.
Open the import dropdown.
Find my flash drive.
Find my file on the flash drive and open it.
The file (picture) will appear on the Newlydraw page layout.
You can move it around on the page and in some cases resize the file, but for right now until you are further along I recommend leaving it right where it pops up at. (All sizing should be done in Corel or adobe).
I then move to the laser and set my height for the material thickness I am using.
I use pegs in my cone grid as a kind of temporary jig.
Once I have the material in place ( I use a scrap piece the same size as the finish piece) I set the laser to the upper left Conner of the project material by moving the laser head with the step keys found in the Newlydraw software interface.
I check the position of the laser head to the material by test firing the laser with a single pulse.
You can do this by pressing down both green buttons at once. (Note if the laser does not fire press the red laser switch key once and try again. Also remember to close the cover or it will not fire).
After finding the exact upper left corner I then press the draw frame button in the Newlydraw software.
This will fire the laser and draw an outline of the outside dimensions of the file to be printed on your material.
If all looks good I replace the scrap piece with the finish piece and hit the engrave button in the software interface.
This is the simplest way I know of to print something on your laser. Once you get this mastered there are other ways to do things, like using the y&z axis interface in the software to set up projects.
I hope this helps you with your problem. Good luck.
Jim J.

James Jaragosky
10-13-2008, 3:47 PM
Let me start by saying that my rabbit came with Newlydraw as its controller software.
This is how I set up one off’s.
First I export a dfx or bitmap file from Corel draw or paint to a flash drive.
Then I install the drive in the computer I have set up to operate the laser.
I use a separate computer because the Newlydraw software screws up print process if I try to do anything else when I am printing with the laser.
I then open the Newlydraw software.
Open the import dropdown.
Find my flash drive.
Find my file on the flash drive and open it.
The file (picture) will appear on the Newlydraw page layout.
You can move it around on the page and in some cases resize the file, but for right now until you are further along I recommend leaving it right where it pops up at. (All sizing should be done in Corel or adobe).
I then move to the laser and set my height for the material thickness I am using.
I use pegs in my cone grid as a kind of temporary jig.
Once I have the material in place ( I use a scrap piece the same size as the finish piece) I set the laser to the upper left Conner of the project material by moving the laser head with the step keys found in the Newlydraw software interface.
I check the position of the laser head to the material by test firing the laser with a single pulse.
You can do this by pressing down both green buttons at once. (Note if the laser does not fire press the red laser switch key once and try again. Also remember to close the cover or it will not fire).
After finding the exact upper left corner I then press the draw frame button in the Newlydraw software.
This will fire the laser and draw an outline of the outside dimensions of the file to be printed on your material.
If all looks good I replace the scrap piece with the finish piece and hit the engrave button in the software interface.
This is the simplest way I know of to print something on your laser. Once you get this mastered there are other ways to do things, like using the y&z axis interface in the software to set up projects.
I hope this helps you with your problem. Good luck.
Jim J.
More pictures
In picture #4 you can see my mouse pointer over the (prop) button this is were you set your settings for power and speed in newelydraw.

James Jaragosky
10-13-2008, 3:49 PM
More pictures
In picture #4 you can see my mouse pointer over the (prop) button this is were you set your settings for power and speed in newelydraw.
Good Luck
pm me if you need more help.
jim j.

James Jaragosky
10-13-2008, 4:19 PM
my demo picture just finished.

Zac Altman
10-13-2008, 4:45 PM
hmmm, im thinking of getting the HX40b (because its USB), but i mean for me there is only so much I can learn, there are no official rabbit sellers in Australia (as far as i know) so you cant go in and test it. So right now im speaking to "Jinan King Rabbit, China". Anyone had experience with them?

I mean as far as I can tell the process is easy enough, design in corel, import into NewlyDraw, then laser. I guess not as straightforward as the American experience.

But the positioning, so once you find out where the "true" zero is, then you can just base everything around that? also if you design a 3x4" picture in corel and import it, then laser, will it laser a 3x4" design? I dont really like the idea of having to fire the laser to see where it will engrave/cut...

(sorry if im hijacking your thread, i guess i have to make my own rabbit thread)

Joe Pelonio
10-13-2008, 5:27 PM
have you seen this?

http://www.hxlaser.com/support/home.htm

James Jaragosky
10-13-2008, 5:58 PM
hmmm, im thinking of getting the HX40b (because its USB), but i mean for me there is only so much I can learn, there are no official rabbit sellers in Australia (as far as i know) so you cant go in and test it. So right now im speaking to "Jinan King Rabbit, China". Anyone had experience with them?

I did not deal with the manufacture directly, but my machine was shipped to me direct from the manufacture. It was a fairly straight forward and simple process. Sorry I have not heard anything good or bad on Jinan King Rabbit.

I mean as far as I can tell the process is easy enough, design in corel, import into NewlyDraw, then laser.
Yes you are correct.

I guess not as straightforward as the American experience.
It is fairly easy process anywhere you live. And I believe that this poster is from the UK.

But the positioning, so once you find out where the "true" zero is, then you can just base everything around that? Correct again

also if you design a 3x4" picture in corel and import it, then laser, will it laser a 3x4" design?
Correct once more

I dont really like the idea of having to fire the laser to see where it will engrave/cut...
This is not necessary. Just easier for your first few times, until you get the hang of things. My objective was to help this poster get going and gain a little confidence so he wouldn’t feel so frustrated.

(sorry if im hijacking your thread, i guess i have to make my own rabbit thread)
No worries mate

Shell Glen
10-15-2008, 1:55 PM
thankyou to everyone who has posted information for me here, i am in the process of going through it all one step at a time. and hopefully i can start cutting my projects. its nice to know there are people out there willing to help. thanks again guys will let you know how i get on fingers crossed.

hugs
Michelle
UK.:)

Shell Glen
10-15-2008, 2:01 PM
hi
yes ive been here but it does not give the x y parameters but thanks for the link.
michelle
UK

Shell Glen
10-15-2008, 2:07 PM
your information was great thankyou very much. i have managed to cut and engrave 2 simple designs using your information. i am just waiting for the supplier to email me the parameters for the x y setup for the software. i took your advice and have a computer set up just for my laser and nothing else, this is far easier. you are very kind for giving me so much detailed information. hope i can help you sometime.

Hugs
Michelle
UK.

Shell Glen
10-15-2008, 7:24 PM
the laser is fine i am just new to lasers and could not make it do what i wanted, i assumed it would be like printing a document but because the newlydraw software is so basic you need to manually set it up, i think the uk distributor gave me the wrong settings. the software newlydraw is basic but using coral has been fine. since jim sent me his information i have been ok with doing it his way. i dont mind you using this thread as it helps others anyway.
michelle
UK

carl stevenson
10-12-2009, 4:10 AM
hi
I have the same machine as you and was wondering how you set the power and speed in the prop section of newlydraw.
There seem to be several places which mention speed and power and I am not completely clear what each one does as it isnt in the manual.

At the moment i can adjust the speed but the power seems to remain on one level

Still working out where to put the machine, its a lot bigger than it looks in the catalogue :)

James Jaragosky
10-12-2009, 1:23 PM
hi
I have the same machine as you and was wondering how you set the power and speed in the prop section of newlydraw.
There seem to be several places which mention speed and power and I am not completely clear what each one does as it isnt in the manual.

At the moment i can adjust the speed but the power seems to remain on one level

Still working out where to put the machine, its a lot bigger than it looks in the catalogue :)

First, make sure that the toggle switch is set to automatic. You can find the switch inside the cabinet on the wall that separates the working area from the power supply and controller board.
After clicking on the “prop” button you will be presented with a window that is split in two, the left panel is for your vector settings and the right is for your raster settings. The max vector speed is 600 but you will be pushing the machine very hard. I have found that that the best speed setting for my machine is 300. And for wood I usually set my power at 86%

carl stevenson
10-14-2009, 4:41 AM
Hello again

I just tried your suggestions but it didnt work. One thing I did notice is, where you have "rabbit 3040" as the machine name I have "rabbit 40b" (even though its the same machine you have, an hx 3040)
The instructions in my manual say to use "rabbit 40b" as the machine name.

This works perfectly for everything except the auto power issue.

When I choose "rabbit 3040" as the machine name I cant communicate with the machine.

I have a USB connection to the machine.

The machine was bought in the UK so its possible there is a different control board version, or the machines/boards were made at different times.

I have "version 8.1" written on the board in the top right corner

I dont mind using the pot for power as I rarely change it and cut at the lowest power setting anyway, It would just be more accurate through the software.

If anyone with the same machine has similar settings to me I would be interested if they can control power through the software.

carl

First, make sure that the toggle switch is set to automatic. You can find the switch inside the cabinet on the wall that separates the working area from the power supply and controller board.
After clicking on the “prop” button you will be presented with a window that is split in two, the left panel is for your vector settings and the right is for your raster settings. The max vector speed is 600 but you will be pushing the machine very hard. I have found that that the best speed setting for my machine is 300. And for wood I usually set my power at 86%

James Jaragosky
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Hello again

I just tried your suggestions but it didnt work. One thing I did notice is, where you have "rabbit 3040" as the machine name I have "rabbit 40b" (even though its the same machine you have, an hx 3040)

When I choose "rabbit 3040" as the machine name I cant communicate with the machine.

The machine was bought in the UK so its possible there is a different control board version, or the machines/boards were made at different times.

I dont mind using the pot for power as I rarely change it and cut at the lowest power setting anyway, It would just be more accurate through the software.

If anyone with the same machine has similar settings to me I would be interested if they can control power through the software.

carl What did not work exactly? Your reply is a bit confusing.
Are you saying that you do not have a toggle that will let you switch between manual and auto?
Or you saying that your version of the software will not let you adjust the power settings?
I can believe that you may not have a manual over ride toggle, but it is hard to believe that you cannot make setting changes in the software.
The “HX” denotes which manufacture put all the parts together.
There are several manufactures all building and selling these machines, some have minor differences. They all use the same parts pool. The software should be all the same. If you have a straight usb connection from your machine to the laser, you have a different controller board than I do. Your statement “I dont mind using the pot for power” is confusing , can you please explain the use of the word pot.
Can you post a picture of the control panel, the one with the emergency stop button mounted in it?
Can you open the lid, and post a photo of this area as well?
I await your reply.
Jim J.

Dan Hintz
10-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Your statement “I dont mind using the pot for power” is confusing , can you please explain the use of the word pot.

Pot = potentiometer (the knob for adjusting power)

carl stevenson
10-14-2009, 2:14 PM
I tried toggling the switch form manual to auto.
In manual mode I can adjust the power using the current regulator potentiometer.
In Auto mode the power is 20 mA on the ampere meter consistently
I can adjust the power settings in the software but it has no effect on the power readout on the machine. It always remains at 20 mA

The software appears to be the same as yours from the photos and I have the exact same settings apart from in the settings for the machine type is 40b in the option for machine. If I try to change the machine type to 3040 I get an error sending data.

I will send the images in the next post.

thanks

carl

What did not work exactly? Your reply is a bit confusing.
Are you saying that you do not have a toggle that will let you switch between manual and auto?
Or you saying that your version of the software will not let you adjust the power settings?
I can believe that you may not have a manual over ride toggle, but it is hard to believe that you cannot make setting changes in the software.
The “HX” denotes which manufacture put all the parts together.
There are several manufactures all building and selling these machines, some have minor differences. They all use the same parts pool. The software should be all the same. If you have a straight usb connection from your machine to the laser, you have a different controller board than I do. Your statement “I dont mind using the pot for power” is confusing , can you please explain the use of the word pot.
Can you post a picture of the control panel, the one with the emergency stop button mounted in it?
Can you open the lid, and post a photo of this area as well?
I await your reply.
Jim J.

carl stevenson
10-14-2009, 2:18 PM
Here are the images of the control board and the panel on the top of the machine

James Jaragosky
10-14-2009, 3:13 PM
Sorry I missed the other posts.

Mark Salt
10-17-2009, 3:41 PM
Hello again

carl

I have the same machine and also have this issue. I am in the UK and bought my machine from HPC Laser. It does seem like it is an issue with the software, I just use manual power settings now.

carl stevenson
10-18-2009, 6:03 AM
Hi
mine was second hand but originally from hpc. I think they sell newer machines now (ls3040) so I am hoping there is a later version of the driver available. ( I am pretty sure it's a driver problem. The drivers came on a cd with the machine and are dated oct 2008 on mine.)
maybe if you contact hpc they can emai you the latest drivers. Let me know if this works for yours.

Antonio Santos
03-26-2011, 4:22 AM
Hi,
This thread is very old but I need help on the possibility of controlling the laser power by software in Rabbit HX40B.
I read here that some users get it through a switch automatic/manual. My machine came without this switch, but I think the control boards are the same and has this possibility through the Dac-Out connector (V8.1 board). I can only adjust the laser power at the panel potentiometer.
Can someone put some pictures or diagrams with the connecting wires of the switch control to the boards?
I would appreciate help here if possible ...