PDA

View Full Version : Base Molding Question

Lars Thomas
05-18-2004, 9:55 PM
I have trimmed out my entire basement, but I'm stumped on how to make a transition from a vertical run in one plane to a diagonal run in a perpendicular plane. I am using colonial run of the mill 3-1/4 base molding.

I'm desperate, I hope someone can help. Thanks. Lars

Todd Burch
05-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Lars, take a better picture, so I can get the "bigger" picture, and repost. Thanks, Todd

Lars Thomas
05-19-2004, 1:55 AM
Todd, thanks for your help. A wider shot . . .

Ralph Steffey
05-19-2004, 7:25 AM
I would not try to make the base go up just clean the crack up with drywall mud then put a return end on your base pieces both top an bottom. I hope this was clear and I hope I understood the question.

Dan Mages
05-19-2004, 8:15 AM
Another option would be to cut a piece of poplar to the shape I drew in the picture. you can fill some of the void with joint compound.

Dan

Todd Burch
05-19-2004, 8:34 AM
I think I would do what Dan drew, except it would not go on the "outside" as he drew it, it would butt into the piece on the landing.

Dan Mages
05-19-2004, 4:05 PM
I think I would do what Dan drew, except it would not go on the "outside" as he drew it, it would butt into the piece on the landing.
Todd. That was what I was thinking too, but with an 8 inch rise and a 3 or 4 inch run, that would be a pretty steep angle. I think that a 3.5 inch rise on the left side to match the trim may help relieve the angle.

2 bits.

Dan

Tim Sproul
05-19-2004, 4:42 PM
how about replacing the piece covering those 4 steps?.....then you can fabricate a single piece to go from the landing down those 4 steps to the handrail.

Walt Pater
05-19-2004, 6:37 PM
Lars, I would do what Todd and Dan have suggested. In terms of running base up the stringer, (if that was your intention) I used to rip the top 13/16" off of 3 1/4" colonial base, and run those profiled pieces up the stringer. HTH, Walt.