PDA

View Full Version : New User Hello, and a Planer question

Mike Hess
10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello all - I've been lurking on the board here for a while and soaking up the good advice, when I decided that I really ought to register and make it official.

I'm going to check out a used portable planer this evening:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/876365331.html

I've read some reviews and it seems to be a decent machine, and should suit my needs. Provided that it fires up and works without leaving any ridges, or excess snipe, etc., is there any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on this?

For the price, I think I'll get my money's worth after a single project (oak book shelves) by buying rough lumber.

Butch Edwards
10-13-2008, 7:00 PM
Hello all - I've been lurking on the board here for a while and soaking up the good advice, when I decided that I really ought to register and make it official.

I'm going to check out a used portable planer this evening:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/876365331.html

I've read some reviews and it seems to be a decent machine, and should suit my needs. Provided that it fires up and works without leaving any ridges, or excess snipe, etc., is there any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on this?

For the price, I think I'll get my money's worth after a single project (oak book shelves) by buying rough lumber.

welcome.... I have that particular model and it does me well...I also bought one for a friend as a gift,and he love his as well. he had a Dewalt 13" and the grizz was a much better planer in his mind. it hjas its limitations, but I've done multi-hundreds of feet of rough lumber, without a hitch...keep the elevation screws lubed, and buy the dust hood & extra set of blades..then get to work !!!:D

Mike Hess
10-14-2008, 9:57 AM
welcome.... I have that particular model and it does me well...I also bought one for a friend as a gift,and he love his as well. he had a Dewalt 13" and the grizz was a much better planer in his mind. it hjas its limitations, but I've done multi-hundreds of feet of rough lumber, without a hitch...keep the elevation screws lubed, and buy the dust hood & extra set of blades..then get to work !!!:D

Thanks Butch. I picked up the planer yesterday evening. It works just fine, but does leave some snipe (which I anticipated). I downloaded the manual, and am going to go through the infeed/outfeed table leveling procedure detailed therein - hopefully eliminate some of the snipe. Also looks like I should clean the rollers, which I've also read can help me to get better results.

It's a nice fit for the top of a rolling metal cabinet that I was gifted recently, and tucks out of the way right next to my workbench.

It's a very simple device compared to a lot of them that I've seen at the big home improvement stores - bit that's fine with me; I prefer the KISS approach.

Joe Von Kaenel
10-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Mike,

What brand and model planer did you buy?
welcome to SMC

Joe

Larry Richardson
10-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a lead on a DW733 for $225. Is this a good planer ?
I don;t have much room, so tools need to be portable.

Should I get this one (from CL) or wait for a couple of months until I can afford this one (DW735)? (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW735-13-Inch-Benchtop-Planer/dp/B0000CCXU8)

Mike Hess
10-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Mike,

What brand and model planer did you buy?
welcome to SMC

Joe

Joe

It's a Grizzley G0505 portable 12.5" planer. Certainly not a top of the line unit, but just I'm a weekend warrior - so it should suit my needs for a few years.

Chris Padilla
10-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Mike,

Good find. One way to help minimize snipe is to build yourself a planer sled out of waxed MDF or even better, some melamine (3/4"). Make it stick out about 1-2' on the infeed and outfeed side--you are trying to extend your planer's bed. Put a stop block underneath it on the OUTFEED SIDE as the cutting action of the planer will want to pull the sled toward you as you feed your stock.

Doug Shepard
10-14-2008, 11:41 AM
I have a lead on a DW733 for $225. Is this a good planer ?
I don;t have much room, so tools need to be portable.

Should I get this one (from CL) or wait for a couple of months until I can afford this one (DW735)? (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW735-13-Inch-Benchtop-Planer/dp/B0000CCXU8)

I've had a 733 for maybe 18-20 years now and it's still working well. The darn thing just wont die so's I can justify buying a 735.:D

Mike Hess
10-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Mike,

Good find. One way to help minimize snipe is to build yourself a planer sled out of waxed MDF or even better, some melamine (3/4"). Make it stick out about 1-2' on the infeed and outfeed side--you are trying to extend your planer's bed. Put a stop block underneath it on the OUTFEED SIDE as the cutting action of the planer will want to pull the sled toward you as you feed your stock.

Interesting idea - thanks for the suggestion. I'll do a little searching and see if I can't find some more specifics.

Joe Von Kaenel
10-14-2008, 4:27 PM
Mike,

I have one and have planed everything except steel. The blades are easy to change. Grizzly tech support does a good job also. Good luck

Joe