PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bathroom Heat Lamp

Larry Fox
10-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I am working on a bathroom remodel and SWMBO wants a heat lamp. The area just outside the shower is about 4' x 4' and the ceiling is 8'. They take a 250W bulb and they sell a 1 or two bulb configuration. I want it to be warm but not too hot. Anyone have any experience with these things and can recommend the one or two bulb configuration?

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

L

Matt Meiser
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
My parents have had a single lamp one in a much larger space (maybe 7x9?) and it seems to work well. I think you'd roast with two.

David G Baker
10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I installed a single lamp set up in my bathroom and was very happy with it. I suggest that you also install a timer on the circuit so the lamp isn't accidentally left on especially if there are any children in the home.

Larry Fox
10-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate the time. One it is. David, I was planning on installing the timer but thanks for reminding me as I need to go to the supply house tonight after work and will pick up a timer switch.

Von Bickley
10-13-2008, 6:25 PM
Larry,

I am presently finishing up a new house and I went with a single bulb unit in front of the shower. Read your installation information on this because you are supposed to keep your insulation away from the unit a certain distance.

Sean Troy
10-13-2008, 8:21 PM
We have one bulb in our master bath and it does more than enough. 15x12

Bob Rufener
10-13-2008, 8:55 PM
I used to work for Broan Mfg, a giant in the ventilation business. You can find lots of information on their site at: http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=659. They have spec sheets and installation instructions that can be downloaded. They also own NuTone and sell under a Nautilus brand-usually found in retail stores. The info may help you make a decision as to one or two bulb and also installation information.

Ben Franz
10-24-2008, 10:54 PM
If you want to get fancy, think about in-floor electric heat under tile. Custom sized heating element mats embedded in the thinset. I've put them in a few bathrooms over the years and the homeowners all raved. It's not inexpensive but might score big with SWMBO.