PDA

View Full Version : Chuck removal

Matt Black
10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
My chuck went bad on a milwaukee corded hand drill. I removed the screw from the inside and absolutely can't pop the chuck off-tried a prybar and hitting it with a hammer(wood block in between), any harder and I feel like I may hurt the drill.

Any ideas/tips?

Thanks,
Matt

Karl Brogger
10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I had to replace the chuck on a DeWalt drill years ago. I think I had to grind away a bunch to get it to come loose. It was probably the heat that actually got it loose. Honestly in retrospect, I should've just gotten a new drill. It took forever to get off. Sorry I don't remember more about how I did it though.

Robert Bassett
10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Try chucking a large allen wrench. Then using a deadblow hammer give it a whack. May take a couple of tries.

Kyle Kraft
10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
That's some good advice Robert. I use that method all the time and it works great. Sometimes I whack it with a ball pein hammer for the mechanical shock assist effect.

Jim Chilenski
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
The chuck should be threaded onto the motor shaft. Some may be left hand threaded. As was said, tighten a big allen wrench into the chuck and then try hitting it counter clockwise, when looking at the chuck from the drill bit end, with a short 2X4. It should then spin off.

Jim

Ray Dockrey
10-13-2008, 2:05 PM
Isn't there a screw that you have to get out first before using the allen wrench method? I thought you had to back the jaws all the way off and reach down inside and remove the screw with a screwdriver.

Sorry. I didn't read the first post close enough. Just noticed that he already removed the screw.

Matt Black
10-13-2008, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Problem is, the chuck is busted so I can't tighten up on anything to whack. I'm about at the end of my rope, think I'll just bite the bullet and get another one.

Shawn Buonarosa
10-13-2008, 8:15 PM
The only way I could get mine off was to put the body of the drill in my vice wrapped in a towel, and unscrew chuck using an 18" pipe wrench. You have to grab the end of the chuck at the solid ring.

Chris Szczygiel
10-13-2008, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Problem is, the chuck is busted so I can't tighten up on anything to whack. I'm about at the end of my rope, think I'll just bite the bullet and get another one.

If you've got a pair of vice-grips that will grab the chuck you could try that. Clamp them on as tight as you can and wack the vice-grips with a piece of wood.

Gary Breckenridge
10-13-2008, 11:26 PM
I think I would call Milwaukee's 1 800 and ask. Maybe an online search would get an exploded drawing and you could figure out the trick.:cool:

Greg Hines, MD
10-14-2008, 9:38 AM
Sounds like you are stuck. The trick to removing the chuck is getting a good hard wrap on that Allen wrench. The longest and thickest that you have. I removed the chuck to my drill that way, but you really have to give it a hard knock to break it loose. After that, it should unscrew.

As someone said, some have left-handed threads. Your owners manual should be able to tell you which way to hit it (clockwise or anti-clockwise). I cannot recall now which way it was for my Craftsman.

Doc