PDA

View Full Version : Jet 708118 Mobile Base - Question and Review

Anthony Whitesell
10-13-2008, 9:18 AM
Has anyone bought and used the Jet (708118) 600 pound capacity mobile base?

I purchased one from my local Rocker for under my Grizzly G0513x2 bandsaw (~350 pounds). I opted for a 4-wheel base design because I was afraid the 3-wheel made become tippy with a tall heavy load like a bandsaw on it.

Well I finally got the saw off the shipping pallet and on to the mobile base (thanks dad!), and I found out that the mobile base is very wobbly :eek:. There seems to be a lot of flex in the wheel support brackets in the back :mad:. Has any one else noticed this with this base?

fred woltersdorf
10-13-2008, 9:37 AM
i have a delta 3 wheel mobile base under my mm16 bandsaw(400+ lbs) and it is like a rock no tippiness at all.http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?t=47781&page=2
see post 17

John Thompson
10-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I use the Jet 1200 base under my BS and 8" jointer with no problems. I have the smaller Jet under a SCMS moble cabinet with extensions and it works fine. The smaller one will support 600 lbs. IMO, but I would not trust it if I had to go mobile often. The wheels are smaller which make it harder to roll with added weight.

The welded 3 points with built-on up lever are very strong and won't tip as the weigh of a cabinet saw is more or less over the base. You do need to add the base extention for wide wings and long table extensions. If someone sits or leans then the saw could tip as those extensions top-side act as a lever that can move the massive weight of the main saw quite easily.

Sarge..

glenn bradley
10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
I have the G0513X on the Shop Fox 700lb capacity base. I would not want to move 700lbs on that base. I only need to move the saw a bit one way or the other VERY seldom so its OK.

There is a piece of 3/4" play attached to the four corners of the base and the saw is on that. This seemed to help quite a bit but the SF base has screw down posts that remove two of the four wheels from play when "parked". I have seen no sub-industrial bases that weren't tippy when resting on wheels.

Robert Chapman
10-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I have the 1200lb capacity Jet base under my 8 inch Jet jointer and I like it a lot. Plenty sturdy and easy to use.

Anthony Whitesell
10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I only find it 'tippy' because of the amount of 'give' in the caster mounting brackets. I can't help but wonder if the high center of gravity is applying more weight or if the over all height of the bandsaw is exagerating the movement.

I was originally looking at the HTC2000 and HTC3000 but I didn't like how much the 14" Delta bandsaw tipped in the show room when putting the wheels down to move the saw.

If I find the base makes the saw to woobly to use, then I will look for a different base that might be better and put this one to under my 16/32 sander (it's a lot lighter and shorter).