PDA

View Full Version : I went off the deep end and ordered a new lathe.

Alan Trout
10-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I went off the deep end this weekend and order a new lathe.:) I have been wanting a larger lathe for some time. Even before I got my midi/mini I was wanting a full size lathe but was hoping that the mini would hold me off for a while. Most of the time I turn bowls but still wanted the ability to do longer spindles when needed. I considered most of the usual suspects. They all have their strong points from price to capacity to versatility. Well I finally decided to get the Nova DVR, I ordered it along with the extra bed extension and the new swing away for the bed extension. I am going to build a extra heavy stand for it so I can eliminate any stability issues. The DVR fit my space requirement which played a large roll in the decision along with the DVR head which I just think is an awesome concept that seems to have proven itself over the past few years. I think the swinging bed section along with the current sale at woodcraft sent me over the edge. I believe the 16" swing combined with the rotating head stock and outrigger will give me the capacity that I will want and with the swinging bed section I can still do longer spindle work without taking up space all the time.

Now the bad part. It is going to be a little while till I can use it. About a month ago I pulled the dumbest and the most embarrassing stunts I have ever done in wood working. I was running a small piece of material over my jointer, about 6"x6" piece without a push pad taking a very light cut. Well it started to chatter and the part kicked out with my hand over the cutter head. Well needless to say I am missing about 1/2 inch off of my middle finger and severed the nerve in my forefinger I also took the tip off of my ring finger. I am very lucky because it could have been much, much worse which I am very thankful it was not. I am healing well but it is slow with this kind of injury.

I will take pictures of stand as I progress. Hopefully I can get it done in the next month.

Thanks,

Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Alan....Congrats on the new lathe. There are a lot of happy owners here. I'm sure it will serve you well. Sorry to hear about the accident and hope you heal completely and quickly. Glad it wasn't worse!

Denny Rice
10-12-2008, 11:52 PM
I went off the deep end this weekend and order a new lathe.:) I have been wanting a larger lathe for some time. Even before I got my midi/mini I was wanting a full size lathe but was hoping that the mini would hold me off for a while. Most of the time I turn bowls but still wanted the ability to do longer spindles when needed. I considered most of the usual suspects. They all have their strong points from price to capacity to versatility. Well I finally decided to get the Nova DVR, I ordered it along with the extra bed extension and the new swing away for the bed extension. I am going to build a extra heavy stand for it so I can eliminate any stability issues. The DVR fit my space requirement which played a large roll in the decision along with the DVR head which I just think is an awesome concept that seems to have proven itself over the past few years. I think the swinging bed section along with the current sale at woodcraft sent me over the edge. I believe the 16" swing combined with the rotating head stock and outrigger will give me the capacity that I will want and with the swinging bed section I can still do longer spindle work without taking up space all the time.

Now the bad part. It is going to be a little while till I can use it. About a month ago I pulled the dumbest and the most embarrassing stunts I have ever done in wood working. I was running a small piece of material over my jointer, about 6"x6" piece without a push pad taking a very light cut. Well it started to chatter and the part kicked out with my hand over the cutter head. Well needless to say I am missing about 1/2 inch off of my middle finger and severed the nerve in my forefinger I also took the tip off of my ring finger. I am very lucky because it could have been much, much worse which I am very thankful it was not. I am healing well but it is slow with this kind of injury.

I will take pictures of stand as I progress. Hopefully I can get it done in the next month.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,

Congrats on the new lathe I know it will serve it well. It is a quality piece of machinery. I'm sorry to hear of you accident and hope you recover soon. The jointer accident you describe brings back bad memories as I have seen an accident just as you described when I was in high sccool, a friend of mine was distracted while running the face of a board over the jointer, it chatered, kicked back and the two middle fingers hit the knives, I don't ever want to see it again, it makes me cringe just thinking about it. Get well soon.

Denny

Jim Becker
10-13-2008, 8:59 AM
Congratulations, Alan. Enjoy!

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2008, 9:48 AM
Congrats on the lathe Alan. You are going to love it. I have one and have never regretted my decision. Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you heal quick.

Steve Schlumpf
10-13-2008, 4:36 PM
Congrats on ordering your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing the photos once you get everything all set up.

Hope you heal completely and without complications!

Alan Trout
10-13-2008, 5:41 PM
Thanks all,

I went to the hand surgeon today and she was amazed at my healing progress. They still may have to do a nerve resection but will not know that for a few months. It really determines if my fingers get hyper sensitive which she says is common with this type of injury. My Woodcraft told me the lathe wood be in this Friday. But I cannot pick it up till Saturday. I am glad Woodcraft had the sale. The guys at my woodcraft are a great bunch and I like to give them business when I can.

Thanks,

Alan

Don Carter
10-13-2008, 7:50 PM
Alan:
Sounds like you are recovering nicely. I hope you will have a complete recovery.
I have had my Nova 1624 about a month now and I have been very impressed the quality. I know you will enjoy your DVR very soon. Take care of yourself.
All the best.

Bart Leetch
10-13-2008, 8:01 PM
Alan congrat's on the lathe.

On the Jointer finger situation I have 3 words vise hand plane!!!

Hope you heal up good & soon.

robert hainstock
10-13-2008, 8:11 PM
Congrats on the new machine. heal fast so you can enjoy it. :eek::):)
Bob

Alan Trout
10-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks to all for the well wishes I really appreciate it.

Alan

Gregg Feldstone
10-14-2008, 4:19 AM
Congrats on the lathe and I hope you are able to do anything you want after healing. I go to the SA Woodcraft every time I come up from Port Aransas. It's a great store with great staff. Have you taken any turning classes there with Louis?

Alan Trout
10-14-2008, 6:57 AM
The short answer is no but I do consider Louie a friend. We always discuss technique and of course Louie is pretty unique in the way he does things. Like I have always said there is more than one way to skin a cat. You are right they have a great staff.

Thanks,

Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2008, 8:29 AM
Correct me guys.....The Woodcraft store there is on the North side of San Antonio on the west side of the highway on the road to Austin? I believe I remember drooling over an 18" Jet bandsaw there 3 years ago. I've drooled over so much w/w equipment the 3 or 4 years it's all starting to run together.

curtis rosche
10-14-2008, 9:18 AM
nice job on the new lathe. to bad you wont be able to use it for a while. but i have to ask WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING JOINTING WITH NO PADS!? OR DOING F@!% WORK AT ALL!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
got any pictures?

Alan Trout
10-14-2008, 7:34 PM
Well Curtis, Like I said it was pretty stupid move, I was being lazy. The pads were on the other side of the shop and I was just taking a light cut and figured I would get away with it like a thousand times before. Well I found out it only takes one time to make it a really bad error in judgment. I have a friend that took some pics If he still has them I will show my finger. At least the blades were sharp. Very crisp, clean, cuts.

Thanks,

Alan