PDA

View Full Version : storing stock outside over the winter

jason lambert
10-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Well winter is comming and I have a bunch of sealed and preped wood for turning. Can I just keep it outside under a tarp in snow and freezing conditions. Or should I store it inside?

Jon Lanier
10-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm in the same situation. I was told it wouldn't matter as long as I kept the blanks on the pallets I have...And that I ought to make sure the air can circulate. I was also told not to let the tarp lay on top of the logs but to, raise it up.

How good advise that is... I'm not sure.... I will be glad to see answers to your queries.

Terry Quiram
10-13-2008, 6:42 AM
I have done that as well. The only issue is to bring your wood inside before turning so it can thaw out/warm up. It is really uncomfortable turning frozen wood.:eek:

Terry

Tom Keen
10-13-2008, 7:03 AM
Sure, you can store outside. The downside is frozen wood. Frozen wood takes a very long time to thaw. Find a used micro wave and defrost your blanks, if you are impatient like me

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2008, 9:53 AM
As was said yes you can store outside. I used to tarp it on pallets but have since put up a 8 X 8 storage shed with home made shelves to store the blanks. I make sure I bring in turning stock a couple of weeks before I want to turn it. I keep several blanks and small turning stock in my shop.

Reed Gray
10-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't know about the freezing part, we get about 40 inches of rain here between now and April. I have heard about people drying wood in the freezer. I do keep wood covered because if it gets really water logged, it seems to split more and faster when the dry season comes.
robo hippy