PDA

View Full Version : cracks in log should I cut them out before sealing.

jason lambert
10-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I found some maple and wallnut logs but they have been sitting outside for several months the middle is fine but they started to crack on the ends of course my question is do I cut off the ends to expose new fresh wood then seal or just seal the ends cracked. I will rip them all in 1/2 right down the pith and seal there as well reguardless.

Jon Lanier
10-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I think most of us could answer better if we could see a picture of them. And if you can cut an end off that may help as well.

-Jon

jason lambert
10-12-2008, 11:36 PM
It is the standard cracking that starts in the cut section of the log Going from the pith out they go down/in about a 1" and stop right now. I assume they will continue if the log is nto sealed but once they star do I need to cut them off and seal the ends to prevent them from going further.

I will try to get pics but I get home when it is dark so it may be a couple of days.

Scott Hubl
10-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Cut off the ends back until there is no cracking, then anchor seal them right away.

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2008, 9:58 AM
I am like Scott. I have found once they start cracking sealing doesn't stop it. So I cut the ends off and seal immediately.

Steve Schlumpf
10-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Jason - another vote to cut the ends off and seal the logs. If you are not going to turn the wood for a while - leave them whole as it will slow down the drying. Rip and cut to size as you need them.

Frank Drew
10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Ripping the logs in half will lessen the forces that lead to checking so is just about as important as sealing the end grain, IMO. Do both ASAP; if there's already checking (as you note) recut the ends to get to unchecked wood before sealing.