PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make a 1/2" collet trim router?

Andy Pratt
10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm in the market for a trim router and was hoping to find one that uses 1/2" bits, as I'd like to avoid buying new bits. In my initial search I didn't see any models that had this capacity, anyone know of one?

Anyone found any (safe) cob-job ways to make this work on a 1/4" router with an adapter or something?

Brian Peters
10-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Usually tooling companies step up to 1/2" with larger router bits/tooling. What kind of bits are you trying to run with your trim router? Never heard of any using 1/2" collets though.

Jim Becker
10-13-2008, 9:18 AM
I can't say I've ever noticed a trim router with anything larger than a 1/4" or 8mm collet. When you think about the size of the tool, etc., that kinda makes sense. If you really need to use your 1/2" shank cutters, your best bet is to stick with a small fixed or D-handle base router for edge work. It will be a little heavier and bulkier than a trim router, but still quite functional.

Steve Clardy
10-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Not that I'm aware of.

Andy Pratt
10-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Jim, thanks for the thought on the D handle, I actually already have that base but it's been collecting dust and I hadn't thought to use it, that would probably be a decent enough compromise.

thanks,
Andy