PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Gloat

Phil Harding
10-12-2008, 8:40 PM
I knew I had a bargain when I won the eBay auction for a Steel City Deluxe Stock Feeder for $189 :D plus shipping (regular price is $600 new). The feeder is two years old and the seller had indicated that cast iron elevating bracket was broken. I thought that even if I had to pay $100 for the replacement part it was still a great deal. After receiving the feeder I emailed Steel City to find out the cost for a replacement part. I know that Steel City has a five year warranty on its equipment, but since I was not the original buyer I certainly didn't feel they had any obligation to me. Well, long story short - Steel City sent me the replacement free of charge (they didn't even charge me for shipping).

I plan to use the feeder with my router table, table saw, and 12" jointer for now. This is my first Steel City tool, but in my not too distant future there hopefully will be a 3 or 5 HP Steel City shaper.

-- Phil

John Thompson
10-12-2008, 9:59 PM
That's a nice power feeder as I got to use it and the step up at the IWF Show, Phil. And the price you got it for was a deal indeed. Having 4 Steel City machines over 2 years... giving you the part to fix it was no surprise to me.

Good luck with your feeder and hope you enjoy the shaper when you get it.

Sarge..

Don Bullock
10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
That's a great gloat all around Phil. Congratulations and thanks for letting us know about the Steel City warranty information. I't nice to know that there are companies out their that honor their word.

Bob Slater
10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Just curious what does that machine do? I guess it feeds stock through another tool? But why the giant motor?

James Williams 007
10-13-2008, 4:18 AM
I am glad I ordered a SC mortiser. I can't wait to give them some more biz. There a real class act. i want some of there granite stuff!!!!

Rick Fisher
10-13-2008, 6:40 AM
Just curious what does that machine do? I guess it feeds stock through another tool? But why the giant motor?

Hey Bob. Power feeders are great. I got my first one about 6 - 8 months ago?

They have a huge amount of torque. Mine has a 1hp motor that feeds at about 8 or 12 feet per second. (In that area).

They are most commonly used on Shapers. They provide an excellent finish because of no stopping and starting. They push against the fence as well and provide a constant and reliable feed rate.
The biggest asset with feeders is safety. Your fingers dont need to get near the cutter.

They need power to force the wood into the cutter, holding it against the fence all the while.

That is a great deal for a power feeder. Steel City is a real customer driven company.

John Thompson
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
I will add to what Rick said Bob, the power feed is actually safer than having a blade brake. A blade brake will keep you from getting cut but... it doesn't do anything to stop a kick-back which can happen for a number of reasons. Use of a power feeder eliminates amputation or major cuts and also elimintes you getting injured from kick-back.

If you do small quantities the cost ($600 to $2000 for the leading brand) wouldn't be justified except from a safety stand-point. But for those that do a lot of work on a Shaper (a very spooky machine to say the least) it is the ticket to ride.

Also.. I rip large quantities of long.. rough stock on my TS for hire on occasion. This really is the ticket I need if that becomes more frequent than every 3-4 months as I do now. If I were to find a deal on one as Phil did.. I would jump on it as I hope to justify it in the future.

Sarge..