PDA

View Full Version : Heirloom storage

Steve Busey
10-12-2008, 8:33 PM
I'm not sure where else to ask this question, so thought I'd start here...

My grandfather built a walnut dining table about 80+ years ago, and it's been in the family ever since, most recently with my sister in North Carolina. She's now taken on a new 'significant other', who also has a very nice dining room set, and after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, they decided to put Grandpa's table in storage. They wrapped the main table portion in padding and pallet wrap and put it in the garage; the legs were similarly wrapped and put in the attic (she does not have a basement).

Should we be concerned about the temp extremes in the attic? What about moisture getting trapped in the plastic thru NC winters and summers? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts or experiences with storage of pieces like this. Thanks, folks!

98500 98501

Von Bickley
10-12-2008, 9:26 PM
I personally do not like to store nice items in the attic.....

She doesn't have a family member or brother that could take the table and put it to good use.....:)

Ben Davis
10-12-2008, 10:47 PM
She'd be MUCH better off renting a very small storage unit for the table. It's worth the $25-30 a month.

Clara Koss
10-12-2008, 11:28 PM
everything that goes into a garage gets ruined,,,, put the table together at someone elses home and care for it there and pass it down... it looks so nice and the wood being in 2 different temperatures and humidity levels will make it not fit together or worse...

Steve Busey
10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
She doesn't have a family member or brother that could take the table and put it to good use.....:)

I'd love to have it, but our dining room is a home office. Still, I may have to take it and put it all in my basement, which has to be a better spot than the attic.

Harry Goodwin
10-13-2008, 3:09 PM
Living in NC you folks are dead right. It will get hot. Harry