PDA

View Full Version : Blade for cutting Corian

Kevin Herber
10-12-2008, 5:25 PM
I need to cut some 1" to 2" by 24" strips from 1/4 Corian. I am going to use my PC 4 1/2" trim saw. What blade should I use and are there any tricks to avoid chipping? I have a limited amount of material so I want to avoid any chipping and/or mistakes.

Thanks!

Jim O'Dell
10-12-2008, 5:54 PM
When I thought I was going to make a router table out of Corian and was buying some scrap pieces, I got a blade for the TS that is a plastics/laminate blade. IIRC, it is a negative hook (not sure the degree, but 5 degree comes to mind) Alternate tooth grind design to help cut down on chipping. Never used it on Corian, but it works well on high pressure laminate. Jim.

Jamie Baalmann
10-12-2008, 8:32 PM
Forrest has a solid surface material blade that I believe is used for corian... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter Quinn
10-12-2008, 8:57 PM
Have you checked Amana? They sell many blades and cutters for solid surface, not sure if they support your PC trim saw, worth a check.

Doug Shepard
10-12-2008, 9:06 PM
I've cut it a number of times on my TS using an 80 tooth Freud with no chipout though it was Wilsonart solid surface, not Corian. Dont know if they cut the same or not.

Ken Dolph
10-14-2008, 3:47 PM
Use any blade you would use for cross cutting wood. The trick is to cut between 30 and 60 inches per minute. It will seem very slow but you will get your best cut this way.

I hope this helps,
Ken

Jason Roehl
10-14-2008, 8:40 PM
I cut some on my TS with a 24T ripping blade and a slow feed rate and had no chipping. Same thing on my miter saw with an 80T blade. The ripping blade left marks on the edge, but that probably has more to do with the TS than the blade. The miter saw left a glass edge (that can cut like one!!).

Steve Kohn
10-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I've cut it a number of times on my TS using an 80 tooth Freud with no chipout though it was Wilsonart solid surface, not Corian. Dont know if they cut the same or not.

I have the same blade. I have successfully used it to cut both laminate and Corian. Feed slow and steady and it cuts very well. BTW make sure you have good overarm dust collection or use a guard over the blade to contain the "sawdust".