PDA

View Full Version : annoying DC on planer

Brian Hale
05-18-2004, 7:24 PM
Just ran my first board thru my new 15" Bridgewood planer (Gloat :cool: ) and quickly found that the DC hose gets in the way as the board exits. (the hood points straight out the back) Should i get a 90 deg elbow and point it off to the side or is there a better way?

Brian :)

Jim Becker
05-18-2004, 7:48 PM
You can use an elbow as long as it's a long-radius elbow or support the hose with a bungie cord from the ceiling...

Chris Padilla
05-18-2004, 7:51 PM
Yep, what Jim said. I'd lean towards supporting the flex hose...save on $$$s and potential lost CFM if you keep the radius of any bend as large as possible.

Brian Hale
05-18-2004, 7:52 PM
Thanks Jim. Long radius elbow? Is that different than a standard DC elbow from say Woodcraft?

Hmmmm Bungie Cord. That might work........

Brian

Bruce Page
05-18-2004, 7:52 PM
Brian, my PM15 chute angles to the right (as you stand at the outfeed end). Looking at the two machines, they could be brothers - or at least cousins so, the PM chute might fit the Bridgewood.

I have never been able to find a 4” right angle fitting that would fit over a 4” chute on one end (female) and allow me to put my DC hose over the other end. If you find one please let me know!

Jim Becker
05-18-2004, 7:56 PM
Long radius elbow? Is that different than a standard DC elbow from say Woodcraft?
Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. Do NOT buy any of those black so-called "dust collection" fittings at Woodcraft or any other woodworking establishment. If you will pardon me cutting to the chase, they are crap. Usually poorly molded and the elbows, if you look inside, often shut down to as much as less than 3" in internal diameter. If you must use plastic, go with S&D from the 'borg. You can also use a long-radius metal adjustable elbow from Oneida, Kencraft, Penn State Industries or other dust collection supplier. But a bungie cord is so much simpler and you may have one lying about. Some twine would serve the same purpose.

Chris Padilla
05-18-2004, 7:56 PM
Thanks Jim. Long radius elbow? Is that different than a standard DC elbow from say Woodcraft?

Hmmmm Bungie Cord. That might work........

Brian
Brian, rule of thumb says the radius of the elbow to be 1.5 times the diameter of the elbow opening (4" for example, radius would be 6" for the 90 degree bend).

It is just a longer, gentler transition...takes up a lot of space but is more efficient for air flow.

Brian Hale
05-18-2004, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the lesson/advice Jim. I guess what your saying is if i buy crap, i'll get crap...

Chris, good tidbit of information to remember, Thanks!

Hey Bruce, something to consider is a 4" exhaust strap clamp from the auto parts store. They're made of 3" wide stainless steel and designed to seal a but joint between two exhaust pipes. I had one on my truck for ~3 years till the whole system gave out and it's still like new.

Thanks Folks!!

Brian

larry merlau
05-19-2004, 9:46 AM
[QUOTE=Brian Hale]Thanks for the lesson/advice Jim. I guess what your saying is if i buy crap, i'll get crap...

also brian, you can check with air handling systems for advice and parts the are very good at helping figure out DC systems. got my parts from them and the delivery and support was top notch.

Tom Hintz
05-19-2004, 9:49 AM
My planer/DC does the same thing but I am able to bring the hose in from the side where it drapes over the table I put the planer on and it stays out of the way. Being a life-long stock car racer though, I will have to start using the bungee cord idea!

JayStPeter
05-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Being a lifelong stock car racer, I'm surprised you haven't already rigged something with duct tape and zip ties. :D

Jay
(this from a former motorcycle racer who used 17 zip-ties to hold his bodywork on ... no bolts).