PDA

View Full Version : Festool OF 1400EQ Router/CT22 Dust Collection

Ken Slemmer
10-12-2008, 1:23 PM
Continuing down the slippery slope…

I have a lot of edge forming operations to perform using Azek for fascia and other trim for the exterior of my house.

It comes down to dust control, mainly outdoors. Anyone who has cut, formed Azek knows what happens during this process. Especially when wind is in motion that day. The neighbors do not appreciate plastic debris all over the neighborhood.

I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK w/the dust collector and a Fein Mini Vac, when routing Azek, not the best setup. I did not have the $$$ to invest in a high-end dust collector at that time.

If I had to guess, this setup captures 50 – 70 % of Azek dust, cuttings and debris during the operation.

I am not trying to start a “Is Festool worth the price” thread.

I’ve been considering the Festool OF 1400EQ Router and CT22 as an alternative to my current dust collection setup.

I do not know if the Fein can connect to the Festool OF 1400EQ Router. ???

Questions are:

Anyone use the OF 1400EQRouter and CT22 on Azek or similar material…?

How good is the collection of chips, dust, when in use on Azek and or wood with the Festool OF 1400EQ…?

Trying to balance the cost. I am not a professional tradesman. Though, people have told me who are in the business that my work is high end. I think most of us here attempt to perform at the highest level we can achieve at the time. And, use that experience to build and improve our levels of craft onto our next project.

Thanks for your time and advice anyone can contribute.

Jim Becker
10-12-2008, 4:55 PM
For edging and many other operations, I have found the dust collection with the OF1400 to be very, very effective. I have not used it with Azek, however, but suspect it will still be effective since the feathery "snow" that is produced with the PVC material is pretty light-weight and the pickup point is close to where it's produced. This will be especially true when both the upper and lower (edging) hood can be used.

Dave Falkenstein
10-12-2008, 5:57 PM
For edging work you might also want to consider the Festool MFK700, a relatively new addition to the Festool lineup in the USA. The MFK700 is smaller than the OF1400EQ, and therefore easier to handle on edge work. There are some threads reviewing the MFK700 at the Festool Owners Group forum, and there is information about the OF1400EQ there as well.

Chuck Tringo
10-12-2008, 7:09 PM
Since you already have a Fein Vac, I don't believe thee extra $$ for a CT would be worth your while, there are adapters to fit any vac to any tool, so going while I would agree that a Green and Black router would help you in your dust collection pursuits, I definitely would not spring for a new vac unless you just want to stack your stuff in a neat collumn of systainers. The fein is quieter as well.

Michael Sobik
10-12-2008, 8:38 PM
I have the 1400 and CT22. I have not used it on Azek, but have used it extensively in the shop. When under ideal conditions, the dust collection is incredible. This is due to the design and attachments included with the router. I say, "under ideal conditions" because just due to the versatility of a router, you can't always properly attach the dust collectors to the router. For captured plunge routing (like a rabbet) the top collection is gotta be close to 100%. I can't even smell wood when I rout this way. For edge routing when you can use the edge collector, I would say collection is around 90%. When you can't use the bottom collector for edge routing, but instead are forced to use the top collector, it's basically like routing without a dust collector.

Peter Pedisich
10-12-2008, 9:03 PM
Ken,

What about one of these...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18014&filter=edge%20forming%20dust%20cup

This way you can use your existing setup.

good luck,

-pete

Charlie Plesums
10-12-2008, 10:18 PM
I use my OF1400 with a Fein Turbo I (small) shop vac - works great. I put a strip of masking tape inside the plastic collection port on the router so that the Fein hose is a little tighter, but no other adapter required for the router. (I use the Fein adapter on the Festool sander.) Dust collection is excellent in most (but not all) cases, as Michael pointed out. The small Fein is used to take less room in the shop, and is quickly emptied by the regular dust collector.

Rob Blaustein
10-12-2008, 10:54 PM
I agree with what's been said so far and have also used the OF1400 with a Fein but not the Mini--I have the Turbo II and like it a lot. I don't know how the Turbo II compares to the Fein Mini but you might start with just the OF1400 and hold off on the Festool vac for now. I also have the CT22 and I prefer it when using the Festool sander or the TS55 circ saw with rails since I have it outfitted with the 'boom arm.' But I "made do" (if you could call it that) with the Fein for several years before splurging for a second vac.

Just curious--I've never used a router on fascia or trim. I imagine you'll have long pieces and would wonder, given the narrow nature of the boards/pieces, if a router table wouldn't be easier.

Ken Slemmer
10-14-2008, 2:27 PM
I have to apologize for not responding sooner to the Creeker’s who posted suggestions and insights of the OF 1400 EQ.

I spent some time at the Festool Owners Group Forum this weekend. Thanks Dave.
Evaluating all the accessories that Festool offers. Had a good conversation with the Festool dealer.

Rob, yes Azek is stocked in 18 Ft. lengths at the lumberyard where I buy. I do not have the capability to truck the 18ft. lengths. Usually have them cut to an 8” and 10” for my truck. I will be getting a few 18’ delivered soon.

Even then it is not easy to maneuver a 10’ piece on the table router.
One point that I forgot to mention about Azek is the cut dust has an electrical charge and tends to adhere to tools and clothes.

Today, I took the Festool plunge, ordered the OF 1400 EQ and the CT22. FedEx will be delivering tomorrow. Plan to spend a little time to get acquainted with the operation of the OF 1400 EQ. We are supposed to have a bit of rain Thursday. If it clears up I should be rabbeting some fascia by Friday.

I think the dust collection with Festool will be much improved but not 100%. Hopefully I am wrong.
If I remember, I will take a few pictures to post.

Again, thanks all