PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Service

Joshua Gillum
10-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Where is a service center for epilog here in So Cal. I just purchased this machine and well to say the least its extremely dirty & ashamed of the condition its in. It looks like skateboarding grip tape of some sort really gritty. What would you recommend to start scrubbing with?

Thanks in advance.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/2006josh2007/Josh/DSC03492.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/2006josh2007/Josh/DSC03507.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/2006josh2007/Josh/DSC03508.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/2006josh2007/Josh/DSC03494.jpg

Tim Bateson
10-12-2008, 12:05 AM
If this is rust and corrosion - Send it back!

Mike Mackenzie
10-12-2008, 12:39 AM
This is typical of PVC material being lasered with the system.

Joshua Gillum
10-12-2008, 1:04 AM
Do you think it is best to return then?

Tim Bateson
10-12-2008, 1:15 AM
If Mike is right about the PVC, then you don't want this laser! PVC voids the Epilog warranty for the reasons you see inside your machine. The fumes given off by PVC are VERY corrosive and you may have caused unknown problems. Someone owes you a refund if they had not been honest on the machine's condition and what it had been used for.

Joshua Gillum
10-12-2008, 1:26 AM
If Mike is right about the PVC, then you don't want this laser! PVC voids the Epilog warranty for the reasons you see inside your machine. The fumes given off by PVC are VERY corrosive and you may have caused unknown problems. Someone owes you a refund if they had not been honest on the machine's condition and what it had been used for.

It is a august 2005. I'm not sure if it would even have warranty left. Who services them here In so-cal though?

Ross Lowry
10-12-2008, 7:37 AM
Call Epilog and talk to Dan.(303-277-1188)
He is a great help.
Where did you buy the machine from?

Frank Corker
10-12-2008, 8:35 AM
Personally I don't think it's that bad. A damned good clean is probably what it needs. Once you taken the cover of the XY carriage and give it a good going over it will probably improve the appearance. It the lens' are good and the mirror is good, you are in relatively good shape. If it's pvc you are going to have residue on most of the areas where it shouldn't be but with a thorough cleaning I think you will be able to get over that too. Most of that white flaky stuff near the venting will probably just wipe off. Don't be disheartened on initial looks, give it a bit of love and attention and if you've bought it at a good price you could well have a winner.

Doug Griffith
10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Cutting Edge Systems may be able to help you out. They are located in Costa Mesa, CA and are good people.

Syndy Neyland
Cutting Edge Systems, Inc.
(714) 540-2233
cesystems@earthlink.net

Joe Pelonio
10-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Frank may be right, and I hope so!

Normal debris buildup will blow off pretty well with an airgun. If this stuff is stuck on, and there is any pitting or discoloration of metal then I'd be very careful about it being used for PVC. Mine has never looked that bad even after a week of 10 hour days running. You'd think that if it would clean off easily they would have done so prior to selling it.

Doug Griffith
10-12-2008, 11:38 AM
That looks like corrosion to me. Especially the rust on the screws and linear guide. The machine will probably still work fine but what about resale value? If Joshua needs to sell it one day, it will be harder to sell and worth less. I wouldn't buy a machine with corrosion unless at a cheap enough price that allowed me replace the corroded parts.

Cheers,
Doug

Joshua Gillum
10-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Call Epilog and talk to Dan.(303-277-1188)
He is a great help.
Where did you buy the machine from?

It came from San Diego.

Joshua Gillum
10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Cutting Edge Systems may be able to help you out. They are located in Costa Mesa, CA and are good people.

Syndy Neyland
(714) 540-2233
cesystems@earthlink.net

Thanks a lot. I will give them a call.

Peck Sidara
10-12-2008, 6:30 PM
Joshua,

For basic cleaning, I'd recommend a soft detergent type cleaner, 409 or simple green and some rags/shop towels. You could probably use a soft(er) scotch brite with some elbow grease too.

Our tech support group can offer replacement parts and replacement screws (be careful removing old ones). Check your optics for delamination and flaking and replace the defective ones as well as possibly the IKO bearing.

Cutting Edge Systems can likely service the system (calibration, cleaning and recommendation on parts to replace).

2950 Airway Ave, Unit D-1
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 540-2233 phone
(714) 540-2244 fax

Your warranty is likely no longer so no worries on a voided warranty due to the materials that have been used on this system.

Give it a good cleaning, replace the parts needed and you'll have a good working machine with little cosmetic defects.

HTH,

(cesystems@earthlink.net)

Joshua Gillum
10-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Joshua,

For basic cleaning, I'd recommend a soft detergent type cleaner, 409 or simple green and some rags/shop towels. You could probably use a soft(er) scotch brite with some elbow grease too.

Our tech support group can offer replacement parts and replacement screws (be careful removing old ones). Check your optics for delamination and flaking and replace the defective ones as well as possibly the IKO bearing.

Cutting Edge Systems can likely service the system (calibration, cleaning and recommendation on parts to replace).

2950 Airway Ave, Unit D-1
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 540-2233 phone
(714) 540-2244 fax

Your warranty is likely no longer so no worries on a voided warranty due to the materials that have been used on this system.

Give it a good cleaning, replace the parts needed and you'll have a good working machine with little cosmetic defects.

HTH,

(cesystems@earthlink.net)

Thanks a lot already on it :):) Is it me or is the ruler missing?

Frank Corker
10-13-2008, 5:13 AM
Thanks a lot already on it :):) Is it me or is the ruler missing?

Yes the top and side rail are but apart from aligning, not too bad.

Chris J Drew
10-13-2008, 6:18 AM
Yep, rulers missing.

Looks like your autofocus plunger is absent too.

The amount of corrosion on there & the replaced(/repainted?) I-beam cover screams PVC.
This could well be the reason for the missing parts, I've seen what PVC does & it ain't pretty!

Hopefully you can get this back to a satisfactory condition without too much expense.

Try a dremel for attacking the corrosion, with a buffing wheel & metal-polish.

Jim Watkins
10-13-2008, 6:32 PM
Also, Don't waste the money on the auto focus plunger. Many of us have removed them on purpose.

Steve I am sure will sell you one if you really want, but at his suggestion, I removed mine and now focus manually only.

Steve is a good guy and will be very helpful