PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Problem!

Mark Grotenhuis
10-11-2008, 9:17 PM
Ok so I just got my brand new sawstop cabinet saw today. I went to put the fence rails on it and found that none of the holes line up. It's not like I can just drill new holes either cause they have tapered screw heads on the bolts. Also my cast iron wings don't have threaded holes in it to accept the bolts, they have big 3/8" non threaded holes in the side. Both front and back pieces of angle iron have zero holes that line up. Anyone know what's going on? Do I have an older model fence with a newer model saw? I guess I'll have to either take it back to woodcraft or call sawstop on monday. Bummer cause I wanted to use it tomorrow.

Mike Heidrick
10-11-2008, 9:24 PM
You have the rails on backwards?

Line up the grooves for the miter channel slots.

Did you read the manual?

Mark Grotenhuis
10-11-2008, 9:42 PM
No trust me I checked that... I even tried to see if the back piece fit the front and the front piece fit the back ... neither worked. I did make sure the low spots in the angle iron lined up with the miter slots... The holes aren't even within 3 or 4 inches of each other. I even had my engineer wife look at it to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. The fence clearly doesn't fit the table. Even if the holes did line up it doesn't explain why the extension wings don't have threaded holes like the manual says they do.

Mitchell Andrus
10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Sounds like you got the wrong fence. Yours is likely sitting on the shelf.

Joe Mioux
10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
did you try shifting the rails forward (or backwards) to see if things lined up.

I can't imagine how preset holes would all of a sudden be changed at the mfr'g factory.

If you have a problem, believe me the SawStop guys monitor this forum and will fix any problem or guide you through set up.

Joe

Mark Grotenhuis
10-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm thinking I got two bad extension wings and the wrong fence. The manual says the extension wings are suppose to have threaded holes in them... and they don't. Strange I tell you, only customer support on monday can sort this out I guess.

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm going to bet they gave you the rails to another brand saw.

Mark Grotenhuis
10-11-2008, 11:08 PM
It cant be a different brand cause all the boxes say sawstop on them. Good idea though... I went to check to make sure.

Jim O'Dell
10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe you got the rails for the contractor saw?? This seems like a very strange problem. Did the box have a model number on it? Wondering if something to identify it went with this particular SS. Sorry you won't get to play with the machine this weekend, but I bet it's still real purty in your shop. Wish I could see a picture of just how pretty it is. :rolleyes: Jim.

Mike Heidrick
10-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Send me pictures - unix888@verizon.net!! This is screwy (or not in this case).

I am pretty sure my saw does not have threaded screws in the extension wings but I will check - my cabinet saw that is.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't own a SawStop but I'd bet $5 they'll stand behind it in a 1st class manner. Too many Creekers have those saws and have had great experiences with them. Everybody.....every company has problems on occasions. That's just a fact of life.

James Williams 007
10-12-2008, 12:54 AM
The wings in my dads sawstop were not threaded because there has to be room for adjustment. I don't know about the fence didn't have any problems with his. Good luck with the saw when I got my dad the sawstop he was a skeptic until we tested it. It works better than they say I want one in my shop now!

Michael Schapansky
10-12-2008, 10:44 AM
My SS wings have straight holes, no threads. The bolts go through the holes in the wing into threaded holes in the table. I can't comment on the fence problem as I went with the Incra system. The saw will be worth any little trouble getting it set up. I bought my saw from Woodcraft and they had all kinds of problems figuring out what was supposed to come with it. They couldn't tell me if the wings were included and tried to sell me an extra set!

John Thompson
10-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't have a SS Mark but... I have put together about every other brand. I have yet to run into one that had threaded holes for the extentions. As James mentioned... most manufacturers won't thread them to allow you to adjust to flat. If you threaded them.. you are locked into whatever postition the wing goes on when tightened.

Wings and main table body are ground to as close to flat as possible but... they are not ground as one unit attached so the chance of threaded holes aligning perfectly with add on wings would be a mere fluke if it did happen.

Good luck with your fence. I had a similar problem with a Uni-saw once until I figured out they sent me two front rails instead of a front and rear. Probably something similar.

Sarge..

Bill White
10-12-2008, 11:13 AM
It'll stop ya from sawin'. (BOO! HISS! )
Sorry....
Bill

Mark Grotenhuis
10-12-2008, 11:55 AM
You guys are right ... there shouldn't be threaded holes in the extension wings... I thought of that last night too... it wouldn't allow for any adjustment. The manual calls for longer threaded bolts to go through the extension wings, and mentions nothing about using a nut, washer, or lock washer on the other side. However this morning I reviewed the hardware and found that they did supply enough nuts and washers to do it. So I may have the right extension wings, but it still doesn't solve why none of the holes line up. I guess it is possible that they make a different fence for the contractor edition, but why would they? Don't you think they would make them the same to save money manufacturing them? I checked the number on the box I got for the rails... It says P/N TGP - R36A.

Jay MacDougall
10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I'll second the thought that you got the rails for the contractor saw accidently, the boxes look identical for both saws.

Alan Schwabacher
10-12-2008, 1:36 PM
TGP-FRT36A is the part number for the 36" T-glide fence for the contractor saw.

Jamie Moore
10-13-2008, 9:17 AM
Do a search for Sawstop Customer Service in the title. It sounds like he had a similar, not the same, but similar. It also sounds like Sawstop corrected it for him.

I would attach the post but not sure how to do that!

Jamie

alex grams
10-13-2008, 9:26 AM
That was something odd I noticed also when I got my sawstop fence and rails manual. It has a picture of the contractor saw on the front of the manual, which made me do a double take and go check the box part numbers with the numbers on their website. I also tried to check the cabinet saw manual for rails on their website, but I believe that pdf/link is not working on their website.

Good luck on getting things resolved.

Mark Grotenhuis
10-13-2008, 2:09 PM
Ok I got her all figured out now. Woodcraft said they gave me the wrong rail bars. There is a difference between the contractor rail bars and the cabinet rail bars. Woodcraft delivered the new bars to me first thing this morning. Great service, especially because I live 45 minutes away from woodcraft. Now all the holes line up perfect. Its time to start sawing :)

Dave Verstraete
10-13-2008, 3:57 PM
Mark
I'll give Gary at Woodcraft a hard time when I see him tomorrow at the class that I am taking there. Their service has always been very good to me.

Shawn Walker
10-13-2008, 4:04 PM
Ok I got her all figured out now. Woodcraft said they gave me the wrong rail bars. There is a difference between the contractor rail bars and the cabinet rail bars. Woodcraft delivered the new bars to me first thing this morning. Great service, especially because I live 45 minutes away from woodcraft. Now all the holes line up perfect. Its time to start sawing :)

Yee haaaw!!! :D

Don L Johnson
10-13-2008, 5:42 PM
I just finished putting my SawStop together. My rails were fine, but there is not power. The electrician put in a brand new sub panel and circuit for the saw. He verified the power to the box on the exterior of the saw. This really hurts my feelings.

Mark Grotenhuis
10-13-2008, 5:55 PM
Did you turn the red lockout switch on the side of the cabinet to on?