PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Yorkcraft Jointer

Anthony Whitesell
10-11-2008, 9:10 PM
I have found a Yorkcraft YC-6J jointer available for $225. What are your thoughts and opinions of the Yorakcraft brand? I haven't seen that maker before. How would you rate the asking price (good bargain, typical, rip off)?

Also, does anyone know who sells Yorkcraft or where I can go to the the specs on this particular machine?

Jim Becker
10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Yorkcraft was the house brand for Wilke Machinery and is no longer sold. The particular machine you ask about is decent.

Bob Ross
10-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Anthony,

I had a used 6" Yorkie for a short time when a used 8" Yorkie became available. The instructions were generic and matched the similar Delta models. I think $225 sounds good if it's in good shape. One thing you should be aware of is the rack and pinion fence mechanism; it takes up a pretty good amount of room. I store mine with the fence over the table and the guard removed to get it closer to the wall.

Ken Cohen
10-11-2008, 10:52 PM
What about replacement knives -- and parts, if necessary?

Thanks.

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Knives should be no problem to get from other vendors. Not 100% sure but don't think they are anything special. For the price I would go for it. Not much to go wrong if used in a home shop and should last a lifetime.

Kevin Ladenheim
10-12-2008, 3:28 AM
I bought one for about $315 shortly before Wilke stopped selling them. It's the only one I have ever used but I thought it looked just as nice as all the other brands I have seen. I wonder if Wilke replaced the blades with good ones because they sure have lasted. The table and fence grinding looks great
and everything is flat. The cabinet base and built in wheels are great.

My only complaint is that I have some trouble keeping the fence at 90. The
angle adjustment mechanism on mine has some slop. I put a C clamp on it for now it it seems to be working.

I think the price is a bargain. Look at the antiquated machine Harbor Freight sells for around that price.

Anthony Whitesell
10-12-2008, 6:36 AM
I found that Holbren sells a carbide insert spiral cutter head fot it, if I can't find the knives.

Jim Becker
10-12-2008, 9:39 AM
The knives and most parts are not unique for this machine. Like many similar products that have been and/or still are on the market, there is a lot of interchangeability. Knives are readily available from many sources since they are specified by size, not machine.

Robert Chapman
10-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I have used one for 5 years with no problems and with the original knives. It seems to be a good basic 6 inch jointer. I payed $390 including shipping for mine.

John Thompson
10-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a York-craft 20" planer I purchased from Curt Wilke when he quit importing York-craft and Bridge-wood under Wilke Machinery. Curt still has parts for York-craft and Bridgewood at his new company. Just do a Google for C. H. Wilke Inc. to find his site. Get his phone number and call him as his site is not complete. He now is a dealer for PM.. Steel City.. etc.

BTW.. your York-craft planer will probably inter-change part with the similar 6" jointer from Grizzly. I know Curt and he was getting his machines from the same source as Grizzly at that time. My 20" and the Yorkie 15" are idenical and every part inter-changes with Griz. Same with my Bridge-wood Industrial floor mortiser which is idenical to the $2100 Industrial Grizzly sells. Every part is the same with the exception the BW has a different motor which is 1 phase as opposed to Griz's 3 phase.

I highly suspect the Yorkie 6" is the Grizzly but.. call Curt on Monday and get it from the horse's mouth. BTW... very nice person and he knows machines very well..

Sarge..