PDA

View Full Version : WTB Ring Box Threader-Bonnie Klein

Paul Waddle
10-11-2008, 5:17 PM
Looking for a box threader,short turning tools(long beveled gouge, and pointed scraper), or Baxter threading device. I'm asking because new,these are beyond my economics.;)

David Walser
10-11-2008, 5:25 PM
Paul,

If the ready-made threaders are beyond your budget, consider making your own. Using Google, you can find write ups and pictures of several home made threaders you can copy.

Good luck!

Allen Neighbors
10-11-2008, 6:28 PM
Google Al Crandall... or John Lucas... they both made one.

Paul Waddle
10-11-2008, 9:39 PM
Thanks for the tip,I've made a threader-works good too. I enjoy it so much,but it would be easier if it was part of the lathe. Mine is a separate. I was reading Bonnie Klein's write up,she now recommends using two face plates in stead of a face plate and a chuck?? I was wondering how this works?? I've sent an email for explanation but have not had a response... pw.:confused:

Allen Neighbors
10-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Paul, that may be just a precaution against a little bit of runout in the chuck...???

David Walser
10-12-2008, 5:02 AM
...I was reading Bonnie Klein's write up,she now recommends using two face plates in stead of a face plate and a chuck?? I was wondering how this works?? I've sent an email for explanation but have not had a response... pw.:confused:

IIRC, Bonnie explains why she prefers face plates in her book. There are two reasons, the face plate holds more securely and it's easier to take the box on and off the lathe without losing concentricity. Every time you take a blank out of a chuck, it's difficult to remount it and have it run perfectly true. That's less of a problem with a face plate. With threaded boxes, you need to mount and remount the blank several times. Face plates just make things simpler.

Paul Waddle
10-12-2008, 7:41 AM
I'm sure thats true,but I beleive its the safety factor. She indicates running a 3 jaw chuck at 2000 rpm at demos,is kinda begging for problems. My question is: after parting the top from the bottom of the box,do you mount the top in an outside gripping press chuck,while the bottom of the box is still attached to the faceplate? Then thread both pcs and screw the top on the bottom for finishing the top. Then part the bottom from the faceplate and secure it back on the faceplate with an inside press chuck? Just trying to get the sequence down. If it wasn't for grain matching,it would be so much easier to leave box on the first faceplate until you need to finish the bottom.. :confused: