PDA

View Full Version : Just have to Gloat!

Ken Glass
10-11-2008, 5:11 PM
Hey Gang,
I found some great wood today. Take a look at the Red flame Box Elder, Burled Sycamore, and Burled Mulberry. The Red flame has some really great color and I should get 10-12 blanks from it, and the Mulberry even has some cat paws in it in several places. Both the Mulberry and the Sycamore have a lot of quilting. The biggest Mulberry piece is about 16" tall and 8-9" square and will hopefully make a great vase or hollow form. The sycamore has some great figure also. Not bad for a few hours on a Sat. morning.

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2008, 9:51 PM
Congrats on the wood Ken. That is a really nice looking haul.

Steve Schlumpf
10-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Wow Ken! You have some wood there that is going to be absolutely beautiful once turned! Looking forward to seeing what you create out of it! If you have the time and there was more of this wood out there - I'd make at least another dozen trips or so! Nice haul!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Can't wait to see some projects from that beautiful wood Ken!

Dave Lehnert
10-12-2008, 12:09 AM
As someone not too knowledgeable on the how.
How are you going to treat and or store the wood. Will you turn it right away? I have a bunch of Pear wood just sitting in the fire wood stack right now. I took one log. Striped off the bark. and sealed the end with wood glue.
But the log is starting to split on the sides.

Ken Glass
10-12-2008, 8:13 AM
Dave,
I always treat any new green blank or log with Anchorseal. The sooner the better. If the blank is cut and under pressure it will start cracking almost immediately. I coat the ends and any cut edges with anchorseal. I did that with all the wood as soon as I returned from the woods yesterday. The Mulberry came from a huge crotch stump that had been there for a while, but since we trimmed it on all sides, I thought I better seal it on all the cut sides. I have tried paint in the past but it never gave good results and my logs/blanks always split. I left all the coated pieces stacked off the ground and will work on them over the next 5-6 months. I did cut a couple pieces of Red Flame 2" thick off the end of one log to try a couple platters with, and they also got sealed on both sides and brought into the shop.

Steve,
The man has more Box Elder, but until he cuts it, he won't know if it is Red Flame or not. I hope to get some more later before winter.