PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw table not flat

Wes Potts
10-11-2008, 4:03 PM
I've recently inherited some tools including a craftsman band saw, and I'm trying to learn woodworking (this is my first post to smc). The other day, I got my band saw all set up and ready to go. After a few cuts, I discovered the table is not flat. The table is cast aluminum (I think) and I'm wondering if a machine shop could fix it, or maybe fabricate a flat one from steel. I've also considered trying to put something flat (but I don't know what) over the top. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dewey Torres
10-11-2008, 5:09 PM
If this saw is sentimental for you I would suggest putting an auxiliary table on it. Chances are in time you will find the original table to be too small anyway and it will give you an opportunity to correct both problems.

Since this will have you covering the top, keep in mind that you will lose blade cutting height so I would go with 1/4 inch material over the original top and support it with hard wood where it overlaps.

I have seen lots of these in magazines over the years. Do some research and find a design you think will work best. Here is an example to get you started:

http://www.plansnow.com/bandsawupg.html

If the saw does not have sentimental value, get some use and practice on it and then sell it for an upgrade. There are lots of great saws on the market and frankly the craftsman name doesn't rank high on the list but certainly better than not having one.

Lee Schierer
10-13-2008, 12:29 PM
How out of flat is it? Most bandsaws are not used for precsion cutting so the fact that yours doesn't cut square may not be a problem. Aluminum sand castings need to be properly stress relieved and aged before machining to relieve internal stresses. Many manufacturers did not do this very well. Sears used to sell aluminum topped table saws and I never saw one that had a flat top. Most were out of flat .010-.015, some were out more.

Remove your table and find a local machinist. Most will give you a free estimate of cost to mill it flat. Aluminum cuts pretty easily so it shouldn't take much time to do the cut. The time will be spent in getting the part set up and clamped for milling. I would expect to see a charge in the $50-100 range.

Wes Potts
10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I think I am going to try to build a flat top for it. I'd like the table to be larger, and I'd like a decent fence for it. Any suggestions on materials? My first thought is to start from a cabinet counter-top range cut-out.

Thanks