PDA

View Full Version : Side Cabinet

Mark Kelly
05-18-2004, 1:26 PM
I have been searching the internet for possible design considerations of a cabinet I need to make. I am not sure if there is any name to it, but it is like a side or sideboard cabinet. It is going to be used for the kids to store their school and arts&craft supplies. I need to use as much space I can on the cabinet, all the way from the bottom to the top (meaning, I want the smallest amount of "foot" possible.) It also has to fit in a specific space.

The (rough) dimensions are 55 1/2" long, 41 3/4" high, and 12 1/2" deep. The depth is kind of shallow, but if we do much more, then the cabinet will stick out into the room too much and really make it feel cramped. At least we think it would!

The cabinet itself will have 2 sets of doors on the left and right and shelves in the middle.

My questions are these:

1) Are the dimensions "normal"? I am worried that it isn't deep enough aesthetically.

2) What type of foot should I use, if any? Do I use a small foot, say 4" or so, or just use a piece of wood so it doesn't look like there is a foot?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Lee Schierer
05-19-2004, 9:16 AM
There really is no such thing as normal for dimensions of any piece of furniture or cabinet. Eye pleasing cabinets are built using a "Golden Ratio" for dimensions. Where the height is 1.6 times the width or vice versus for a low cabinet. However, if you are trying to maximize storage in a given area, there is nothing that says you have to follow proportions for the cabinet to look okay.

As far as a foot goes, try using a wood frame made of 3/4" thick material made about 2" tall and screwed ontot the bottom. Much like a bookcase. If you inset the front and sides as little as an inch it will look nice and still give you the support you need without taking up a lot of space.

Tim Sproul
05-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Mark,

I'll agree with Lee...there is no "standard" for furniture. There are general guidlines....but those are more important for things like chairs, dining tables and desks. Casework isn't nearly as finnicky for needing to stick to standard dimensions.

One thing about your case dimensions....you may want to consider some method of fixing the back (closer to the top than the bottom) to the wall. At 3 1/2 times tall compared to deep, it may be rather easily tipped by being inadverdently bumped (would have to be quite a bump) or, more likely....having youngsters trying to climb or I've also heard problems where someone has bent down to take something out of the bottom, then grabs the top and tries to pull themselves up using their arms rather than legs......

Mark Kelly
05-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Well, I got some new instructions on the project. It needs to have a more open look to it, so thus I will put some sort of feet on it. Maybe 3 or 4 inches high. But your idea will be taken into consideration!

Mark Kelly
05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Oh yes, we had planned for it to be attached to the wall. No doubt about it. We are still trying to figure how to attach just about everything to the wall. It's amazing how the little stuff 'disappears' from all the little hands around the house! But, if it were not for the little hands, life would probably be kinda dull.

Thanks for your input.