PDA

View Full Version : I'm a believer!

Curt Fuller
10-11-2008, 9:32 AM
I just bought a Doug Thompson gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge to be specific. I sharpened it and started turning some ornaments the other day. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever need to sharpen it again. It's kind of like that pink rabbit, it just keeps going and going and going!

robert hainstock
10-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Ain't it the truth. :):):)
Bob

Doug Thompson
10-12-2008, 2:14 PM
Thanks, that was the goal to keep the sharp edge longer plus the fact it won't need to be replaced for a long time if ever.

On second thought grind, grind, grind that tool so I won't be out of a job in 5 years :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2008, 5:47 PM
You got that right Curt. I have his spindle and bowl gouges. I did 4 walnut bowls before I went to the grinder.

Gary Herrmann
10-12-2008, 6:04 PM
Hmm. I've thinking about one of his gouges. Might be a good thing to ask Santa for. The recent lathe acquisition has put a crimp in my tool budget for awhile.

dennis kranz
10-12-2008, 7:23 PM
I am also a believer. I want to Thank Doug for outstanding service with a problem that I am sure I caused.
THANKS Doug I will be ordering more tools as time goes by.
Dennis

Joe Mioux
10-12-2008, 9:18 PM
I didn't know Mr Thompson was an SMC member. In my lathe and accessory buying spree, I bought a 3/8 in and 5/8 gouges from him.

I haven't used them yet, but I have a whole bunch of green hard maple that I will use them on.

btw, thanks Doug.

Joe

Gordon Seto
10-12-2008, 10:21 PM
On second thought grind, grind, grind that tool so I won't be out of a job in 5 years :eek:
My wife loves the aluminum snow shovel because of its light weight, but the steel edge wears out very fast. Is it possible to make a thin strip of the A11 steel for the edge?
We loves you and your tools, but won't grind away the steel to keep your job. You will have to diversify your products.;)

Rasmus Petersen
10-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks, that was the goal to keep the sharp edge longer plus the fact it won't need to be replaced for a long time if ever.

I dont think so :-) you just have to keep em coming... i still need more tools... i always need new toys ... did i say toys i mean tools

Doug Thompson
10-13-2008, 1:25 AM
You will have to diversify your products.;)

The day the site doesn't have a sold out sign hanging I'll bring out the other 20 tools... SRG's, negitive rake scrapers etc. First I need to take care of Johannes Michelsen, John Jordan, Al Stirt and Jimmy Clewes who wants a different flute.

Kim Ford
10-14-2008, 8:45 AM
DITTO . . .

Once you have one and use it, it seems to be the one you pick up every time and sharpen the least.

Good Job Doug!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Curt - congrats on your new Thompson gouge! I've been using my 5/8" V bowl gouge for a few months now and absolutely love it! Modified it a little by sweeping the wings back a little over an inch and also am using one of Randy's Monster handles filled with BBs. Makes for a really nice gouge for roughing out blanks and yet is so easy to use I also use it for all the finishing work as well!

Have fun with your new gouge! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!