PDA

View Full Version : making arched panel doors

Dave Sharpe
10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, I'm building a new kitchen and have already completed carcasses for both the upper and lower cabinets. I'm using birch plywood for the carcasses, and solid maple for face frames and doors. I'm getting closer to the process of building the doors and would like to make arched tops for them. A couple of questions still that I'm hoping y'all can answer for me:
1: Is it worth it to buy ready - made templates for this type of door? I bought a set of cathedral templates several years ago and haven't used them(the folly of going to a woodworking show with a loaded wallet), but I really prefer the simpler arched look.
2: I've seen two types of template sets - the less expensive version is simply matched arches cut in plastic that can be affixed to the blank with double-sided tape (Rockler), and the more expensive version that comes with a holder that indexes the blank and the template to each other and clamps them in place to allow machining (Woodcraft). Any experiences/preferences?
3: I'm planning on only arching the upper cabinet doors - most of the lower cabinets are drawer banks but a few have doors - should I arch those too? I'm thinking that may look a little odd, so I'm planning to do those as simple rectangular doors.

I have a pretty well set-up shop for a hobbyist. I do have a router table and the raised panel sets I need.

Thanks for your advice!

Dave

William OConnell
10-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I personally would make a trammel and make my own. Its really not that hard to do and you can make the radius of the arch anything you like. As far as the base cabinets, your right, they look architecturally incorrect with a radius. Heres some doors I made using a home made trammel. The color is better than the photo shows. The camera did something very weird with red
http://www.indianisland.us/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1667&g2_serialNumber=2

Rob Cunningham
10-11-2008, 8:44 AM
Fine Woodworking issue #138 has a great article on making arched RP doors. I have used this method many times to make my own templates. As far as the base cabinet doors, I agree with William, no arches.

Dewey Torres
10-11-2008, 9:04 AM
1) Since you already have a set of templates I would suggest making your own basing the design off of the cathedral templates (thickness and width).

2) I would only put the arch on the top as you have planned. To me, arches on the top and bottom look a bit over done unless you are going for a very high end fancy look.

Richard McComas
10-11-2008, 3:30 PM
If you decide to make your own here's some pretty good information.

http://www.josephfusco.org/Articles/Arch_Top_Doors/archtop_doors.html

Peter Quinn
10-11-2008, 8:13 PM
I'd make your own templates if you have the resources. Not hard to do with a router on a trammel or a band saw with an arc cutting setup, and just as good as anything you are going to buy. This gives you complete control over the door sizes too. I like my high and low points on the curve to be consistent regardless of the width of the door. If you have a lot of different door sizes that is a lot of money in premade templates, where as one half sheet of MDF or hardboard may do the whole thing if you plan your cuts right.

I would not put arch tops on the lower doors. Arched toe kicks might be a nice compliment if you like, but you don't need a template there, a simple freehand cut to the line on a BS should suffice.