PDA

View Full Version : promised GI pics

chris ormsby
10-10-2008, 8:00 PM
Here is the new toy. I salvaged the kenedy bench 6 ft from the dumpster at work:) I love wasteful mindsets at work. (maple top and all)
Ok now back to my easy questions. I will have to cut the six inches off of the bottom of this bench to put the centerline height at my elbows.1) Will the cabinet right on the floor cause me to have to stand to far away to work comfortably. 2) Am I going to burn my house down with the grinder at the right side of the bench? I can't wait to get to work with this thing. As for the difference between this and my old duro lathe, this has zero vibration from 300-3600 rpm's, and the tenkatool chuch runs dead zero, no runout. I guess I better improve my turning skills since I have less to blame the poor results on.

chris ormsby
10-10-2008, 8:03 PM
oh ya, new outfeed table too

Scott Hubl
10-10-2008, 8:47 PM
OK Now its REAL.

LOL Nice setup you have for yourself, Congrats.

Toes might feel cramped place a board in front at the bottom and see how that feels .

I doubt you'll burn the house down but be careful, use common sence if you have piles of shavings around broom them away, then sharpen if your worried.

Best to error on the side of caution when in doubt.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-10-2008, 9:01 PM
Hi Chris
Looks like a nice sturdy bench, 6 feet long ? how deep ??
I don't know what you are planning, but I do think the Lathe and grinder mix is not a good idea IMO, grinders are messy and the metal and wheel grit are dirty and very abrasive even if you would put a DC on it.
If you can fit the lathe on the end then with the overhang it would be nicer to work on your lathe, but the way you have it now should work also, you can stand in the open end of the bench also, just give it a try, you can always move the lathe later.
I don't know if I would be so hasty as to start cutting the bench now, a platform might be a better idea at least until you have tried the setups, just my way of looking at it.

chris ormsby
10-10-2008, 10:26 PM
the bench top is 20" dp and the bench itself is 18". I guess I could stand on a platform for now. The centerline is 4.5 to 5 inches too high as it sits.

Allen Neighbors
10-10-2008, 11:04 PM
My idea is that the cabinet without a toekick would be hard to take. Kitchen cabinets have a place for toes. All good workbenches have a space at the bottom front for toes, too. I think you would find that it's not a good idea to cut the bottom off the cabinet. I'd leave at least toe space. The suggestion for a board across the front is a good one to try.
I like the looks of your lathe. You did good! :D
Grinder on the lathe bench? I think it might not be the best, either. It does look good there, tho', but they're nasty, that close to your finish work.

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Chris great looking lathe. I had my grinder on the same bench as my Rikon and moved it.