PDA

View Full Version : Rattin on myself again

mark page
10-10-2008, 7:55 PM
On my recent business trip to Colorado and nothing to do but have some quality hotel gazebo time and cold beverages in the evenings, the topic of mischevious stuff we did as kids came up. A lot of things I haven't thought about in over 30 yrs came back into mind, as it did for all of us there.
Well here is one of my stories that is rather amusing. My high school buddy and me used to do a lot of trapping for the extra money. We were out running traps one early evening and we found we trapped a bobcat. Just a medium sized one that maybe weighed in 22-24 lbs. Neither one of us wanted to kill this cat but we had to figure out a way to get him loose. Now of course it's colder than heck outside and of course we were well on the way to being anebriated from drinking all the Jack Daniels and Jim Beam antifreeze that we could get ahold of. Now my friend has this old 1960's vintage samsonite hard plastic suitcase in the back of his truck that he used for a poor man's truckbox. It was one of those that weighed about 40 lbs empty and probably one of those that was in the commercial with the gorilla jumping on it. We get the bright idea we'll throw this open suitcase over this cat and try to get it closed on him. After about what seemed an hour, we get this suitcase over and closed on the cat sans the one back leg that was still in the trap. We free the leg in the trap and of course the cat yanks it and wallah--we have a bobcat in a suitcase. We toss the suitcase in the back of the truck and run the rest of the traps we had set. We almost forgot we had this cat in captivity till we see the suitcase again. Now neither one of us had the fortitude to unlatch this suitcase to release the bobcat. We get the bright idea that we'll break the suitcase and that will do it. We beat the livin' hell out of this suitcase and threw it again trees, the highway, etc. Samsonite lived up to its reputation and this thing wouldn't bust open. We're well anebriated by this time, the cats been in the suitcase for appx a couple hours and well pissed off by now, especially after us banging him around. We figure we'll let someone else do the dirty work for us. We set the suitcase in the middle of the highway in the center of the river bridge. About the fifth or sixth car that passed it was a big 4 door electra, catalina, or something of the such. We see the brake lamps come on, backup lamps light, one door opens and an arm reaches and grabs this suitcase. Well folks, they didn't make it to the end of the bridge. All four doors come open and about 5-6 guys bail out of this land yacht. From the lights on the bridge and their headlamps, we could make out the silhouette of this bobcat in the back windshield shelf, and he wasn't a happy camper. I figure this pissed off pussket took out some upholstery when he came loose. Now we didn't plan on someone opening the suitcase inside their car, we figured that they would do it out in the open. Now of course my buddy and I were dying laughing at this time. But the good thing is that no-one appeared to get hurt, not even the cat.:eek:

rob mason
10-10-2008, 8:58 PM
OMG - that was hilarious. I feel bad for the cat, but man, that would have been priceless to see...

Greg Cuetara
10-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Mark,
thanks for the laugh tonight....it has been a long week and that was much needed.
Greg

mark page
10-11-2008, 9:21 PM
I wish I had a video of all this, but I believe the old Super 8 recorders was the top dog in this era. If there was a video captured, I do believe that a truce could be made between all parties involved, including the bobcat, and we'd all be lounging around today in "Hugh Hefner" robes, slippers, and sucking on English bowl style Meerschaum pipes. Although I would have to design a custom recliner for the bobcat.:D

Lee Schierer
10-13-2008, 1:15 PM
You should put a warning on posts like this to not read them with a mouth full of beverage or at times when you should be working!

Paul Downes
10-13-2008, 3:04 PM
Lee, that's a priceless story! I durn near got laughter tears rolling. I come from a long line of Irish practical jokers and that's right in there with the best.

I worked with a guy who took his city cousins out coon hunting one night. He was well lubricated and when his dog treed a big coon his cousin wanted to shoot it. He told me he looked at his cousin and said "shoot it! are your crazy, we take them home live" So he climbed the tree and figured on grabbing the coon quick, stuffing it in a gunny sack and throwing the sack down on his cousins for entertainment. Well, he grabbed the coon, but not quick enough and the bugger sunk it's teeth into the ball of his thumb. In the process of trying to get to get loose of the coon he fell out of the tree and crashed down through the branches. In the ruckus the coon made it's escape. The next morning when he woke up sober and sore, he found that he was very lacerated and scratched up. He then remembered that the tree he had climbed was an osage orage tree, which as you know has the meanest thorns on the face of the earth.

Ben Rafael
10-13-2008, 4:16 PM
It doesn't get funnier than that, thanks for sharing that story.

Steve Clardy
10-13-2008, 4:20 PM
Roflol............

Derek Tuchscherer
10-14-2008, 9:21 AM
Well, coffee sprayed from one's mouth is ONE method of cleaning a computer monitor....That is a gem of a story. Still LMAO!!!!

John Shuk
10-14-2008, 9:02 PM
That's funny

curtis rosche
10-16-2008, 2:17 PM
that would be funny to repeat but stick a person in the box or a prank similar to scare people who pick things up off the road

Lee Schierer
10-16-2008, 2:56 PM
that would be funny to repeat but stick a person in the box or a prank similar to scare people who pick things up off the road
No, some folks might think it funny to run over the box instead of picking it up!

Gary Herrmann
10-17-2008, 6:16 PM
Wow. I don't even like holding the cats when the wife says its time to trim their nails. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why I agree to do that...

David G Baker
10-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Gary,
Trimming cat's nails and giving them baths has to start when they are very young. I have had some pretty serious scratches and bites trying to work with cats that had not been trained to relax when handled.
It is going to be hard to beat the bobcat in the box story.