PDA

View Full Version : Griz 0656 Assembly Question

Kris Bjarnason
10-10-2008, 5:34 PM
Just got my new jointer, and almost have it assembled, but I have a question. I am having a problem (I think) with the lock nut that works in conjunction with the fence lock lever. When I turn the fence lock lever, the lock nut and washer aren't even close to making contact, thus the fence isn't locking into position. Am I supposed to force that lock nut up high enough to get a "lock?" I have made a couple turns with a crescent wrench, but now it is almost impossible to turn, and still isn't high enough.

If you look at the picture, they have the locknut up the bolt much higher than I have been able to get it (I am turning so hard the corners are starting to round over).

What am I doing wrong? Do I just not understand the lock nut?

Shawn Walker
10-10-2008, 5:59 PM
Just got my new jointer, and almost have it assembled, but I have a question. I am having a problem (I think) with the lock nut that works in conjunction with the fence lock lever. When I turn the fence lock lever, the lock nut and washer aren't even close to making contact, thus the fence isn't locking into position. Am I supposed to force that lock nut up high enough to get a "lock?" I have made a couple turns with a crescent wrench, but now it is almost impossible to turn, and still isn't high enough.

If you look at the picture, they have the locknut up the bolt much higher than I have been able to get it (I am turning so hard the corners are starting to round over).

What am I doing wrong? Do I just not understand the lock nut?

Wind it off and see if it's cross threaded... Just thinkin...

glenn bradley
10-10-2008, 6:00 PM
My machine is different but I will take a look when I get home and try to help.

Sorry Kris, I almost forgot about you. My G0490 is similar but far from exact. I have two nuts to lock the selected tightness. From your description you can't even get to "tight" so locking it is of secondary concern.

Just a sec . . . . Here's a pic but I don't know that it will help. Maybe a second or third flat washer?

Fred Belknap
10-11-2008, 8:44 AM
I looked on my jointer and it is completly different. The picture looks like maybe the handle that locks the fence is on wrong. I don't see how you could slide the fence forward with the handle sticking down. It seems like it would need to be in a upright position.

Scott Phillips
10-13-2008, 1:23 PM
Kris,

I recently assembled this jointer. The lock nut was pretty tight but I was able to turn it enough to make the fence lock down. Maybe it got cross-threaded or the bolt came bent or with bad threads. Just a thought.

Good Luck,
Scott

Kris Bjarnason
10-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies. It turns out that's the way a locknut is supposed to work. This particular one has a 2nd nylon nut that isn't threaded which is what makes it so tough to turn. But that design is what keeps it from loosening from vibration. Anyway, all is well and so far I like my new 0656!

glenn bradley
10-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Excellent! I had been wondering how this turned out.