PDA

View Full Version : Rugged Dining Table: Joinery and Finish Questions

Danny Thompson
10-10-2008, 2:25 PM
I want to build a table loosely based on these. Couple of technique questions for you:

What kind of joinery is best for the top? Simple long-grain to long grain glue joint?

The first of the two has boards running perpindicular to one another. Surely they cross-pieces aren't glued to the edge boards. Should the crossboards be tenoned loosely floating in a dado along the length of the edge boards? What would you recommend?

What kind of finish would you recommend?

Also, is there a way to achieve this texture that accectuates the grain (scrubbing with a brass brush, battery acid) or do you just have to leave the wood out for 20 years?

Credit where credit is due--the first and third pics are from www.greenteadesign.com (http://www.greenteadesign.com), the middle one is from the pottery barn.

Scott Rollins
10-10-2008, 5:36 PM
Long grain to Long grain would be very strong. the problem will be keeping it flat. I would glue it up in 3 or 4 managable lengths then glue the assembly together. Cut it square. Then tongue and groove the entire length of the boards. Glue the center 6". Mortices and tenon on end boards hidden under the main top to give it thickness at the ends.
Finish is probably dark dye then laquer.
The aging is interesting. I will be interested in this as well.

J. Z. Guest
10-11-2008, 8:09 AM
I'd probably use dowels instead of tongue & groove for the length-wise to width-wise connections.

To edge join the boards, I'd probably use dowels again (with Dowelmax) or pocket screws, with Kreg jig. Once the glue dries on the glued-up center part, you can take the pocket screws back out and save a few bucks, or leave them in for back-up mechanical strength.

Andy Haney
10-11-2008, 9:27 AM
but I don't know if that is a solution for you. This method is used by some sign makers, but may be too aggresive for this application. Maybe you could try a small board of whatever material you plan to use and see if you like the results. When I need a little sandblasting done, I visit with my local monument company.

Andy